Sign in to follow this  
taguilo

XML gauge processing, performance

Jan,After doing some tests on structure, I found that: is processed the same as , with the advantage that you can save all those ,,etc structures. As for performance, it seems there is no difference when speaking of FPS and LVar updates, compared to syntax.As you may already know, it can be used as many as wished in a gauge, and even it is possible to add 'Name="XXXX"' tag to help identify each of them's meaning, like in However, I also found something weird when using 'Hidden="No"' tag in a gauge placed on a secondary panel (window). It has to do with LVars update frequency. I am still testing this, and can post the results if you think it would be valuable.Tom

Tom,Please do.I also think there is no difference in performance; it is just so easy in use.May be Hidden=.. etc has something to do with local and global?Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Well, what I've found so far: ...codeThe code within will be actualized at the current update frequency for the gauge, no matter if the gauge is actually hidden or not.However, code put inside any will be actualized at aprox 1/18 of the current update frequency, so even the gauge is hidden, there is some rate of execution running. The only think that seems to affect that rate is the 'frequency' tag like Just one 'Hidden' tag in an is enough to make the entire collection of slow down to that 1/18 relationship (aprox)Still testing...Tom

Guest jprintz

Wow, what a GREAT post Ron, and to think, it's been hidden here in the forums for so long (since 2005!), despite the importance of what it says. The following pasted in part, especially, is something I think everyone should know, especially those working with more math-intensive gauges:***********"... Note math operations on the MPX run 1 cycle for + and -, 4 cycles for *, but maybe 20 cycles for '/', and roughly 50 cycles for trig and other transcendentals. Expect 'd d * *' to do a cube much faster than ' 3 pow'"************The part about always using multiplication over division is especially useful, so that, for example: (Variable / pi) becomes (Variable * (1/pi)) and in most efficient form should become (Variable * 0.31831).Converting lots of divisions to multiplications in a gauge that's already trig intensive might be very useful. My gosh, the info provided by those on this forum has saved me tons of hours of XML time, and tons of FPS in the gauges themselves.

>Wow, what a GREAT post Ron, and to think, it's been hidden>here in the forums for so long (since 2005!), despite the>importance of what it says. Well, you were apparently a participant in the 2005 thread. It's a very good thing that Ron was able to share with us his findings while he could...However, unless Heaven has an internet connection, Ron's unlikely to reply... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jprintz

>>Wow, what a GREAT post Ron, and to think, it's been hidden>>here in the forums for so long (since 2005!), despite the>>importance of what it says. >>Well, you were apparently a participant in the 2005 thread.>It's a very good thing that Ron was able to share with us his>findings while he could...>>However, unless Heaven has an internet connection, Ron's>unlikely to reply... :)Yes, I'm only active in the flightsim world sporadically, and I didn't know of Ron's passing last year. What a shame. Having just done a search on his name, it's obvious that he contributed a *tremendous* amount to this hobby.

>Yes, I'm only active in the flightsim world sporadically, and>I didn't know of Ron's passing last year. What a shame. Having>just done a search on his name, it's obvious that he>contributed a *tremendous* amount to this hobby.Ron was indeed a terrific resource for many, many folks. Those are some large shoes to fill...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator