Sign in to follow this  
Guest noshades

FSX: Compiling Aircraft With XtoMDL.exe

The new XtoMDL.exe program for FSX is "command line driven," meaning that there's no fancy-schmanzy GUI to use... ::)Did you know that you could create a shortcut on your desktop that would 'proxy' commands to another application? Create a shortcut on your desktop and enter the following for the 'target' (fix up c:temp to be the appropriate paths to the files):%windir%system32cmd.exe /K c:tempxtomdl.exe /DICT:c:tempmodeldef.XMLFor example, my "target" path is:%windir%system32cmd.exe /K C:AutodeskMax8FSX_Toolsxtomdl.exe /DICT:C:AutodeskMax8FSX_Toolsmodeldef.XMLYou can drag and drop onto that shortcut and a new .CMD window will open and stay open so you can see your results.As an "improvement" to the above*, rename the shortcut something like "Compile Aircraft" then move the shortcut to your SendTo folder...C:Documents and SettingsUser NameSendTo...now, in Explorer rightclick on the .x file and select "Compile Aircraft" from the popup menu... ;)NOTE: The chief advantage of the "Send To" method is that you can have the .x file(s) anywhere you like to keep them, and the compiled .mdl will appear in that same location... :-cool * Thanks to Tom Gibson for this tip! :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill,Nice trick!Glad to help. I also use the Send To method for compiling BGL's with BglComp and decompiling CAB files with Cabdir. In those cases the shortcut only needs to be created by right clicking the relevant exe file and choosing Make Shortcut. Rename it and put it into the Send To folder.Take care,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Actually, that's precisely how I started out to create the shortcut to begin with...Right click on XtoMDL.exe and SendTo Desktop as Shortcut.Right click on the new Shortcut, rename it, then edit the PropertiesTarget with the command string above.Move shortcut to SendTo folder.BTW, to create an runtime log, simply add > buildlog.txt to the end of the command string. This will pipe the output from the screen to a text file for later examination... ;)Posting the buildlog.txt file when asking for help in a forum would be quite helpful in tracking problems... :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

Guest Kaltenbrunner

When I try to run XtoMdl.exe or MdlScan.exe, I get the following error:Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'XToMdl, Version=10.0.60813.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)File name: 'XToMdl, Version=10.0.60813.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' ---> System.Security.SecurityException: Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)The Zone of the assembly that failed was:MyComputerWhat am I doing wrong?What components are missing?

Guest Vorlin

Guys, I'm waaaayyyyy behind the curve here. Demands on my time at work, my father nearly died in the hospital last weekend and other pressures have forced me to run off and literally go fishing with my spare time in an effort to keep my head straight.Something about being out in the middle of a fast flowing rocky river that bleeds off bad energy and lets me relax... but I wander off topic...Bill, where on earth did you get this thing?!?!?!? What did I miss?!?!?!? Is the SDK out already?!?!?!?DOH!!!!!Vorlin / Scott

>Bill, where on earth did you get this thing?!?!?!? What did I>miss?!?!?!? Is the SDK out already?!?!?!?This is based on the preliminary SDK information that accompanied the beta3 version (as well as the FilePlanet beta) that was released.I'm just trying to prime the pump so to speak by providing some tips ahead of time, that may prove useful for everyone once FSX hits the shelves... ;)Unlike the SDK provided with FS2k4 and FS9, this export process isn't a one-button "click here to make model" process...

Fr. Bill    

>When I try to run XtoMdl.exe or MdlScan.exe, I get the>following error:>>What am I doing wrong?>What components are missing?To be perfectly honest, I don't have a clue! I suspect that one or more 'fiddly-bits' that are required by XtoMDL.exe were either left out of the SDK, or were not installed. What is certain though is that there are no instructions yet!The release version of FSX will come with an SDK installer package that will automatically set up all the needed stuff for us, and will also include some much needed instructions on how to use...

Fr. Bill    

Guest noshades

>When I try to run XtoMdl.exe or MdlScan.exe, I get the>following error:>>What am I doing wrong?>What components are missing?Get the same here..:-bang