Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Some trekkie fun

>I think I'm really getting the hang of this modeling thing :)Wouldn't it be nice is gauge code were this "easy..." :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Albatross7107

Yeah, sphelled that wrong... :)Lord that one word "Canon" sure brings back a TON of, err, "heated" discussions on FIDOnet <- Pre internet message system on dial up BBS'sI'm not going there again...

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Decided to re-work the rear of the engineering hull as I wasn't completely satisfied with the first attempt.Completed that, along with the shuttle bay doors and observation platform above the doors and inner bay room.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...Enterprise4.jpgNow all the geometry that is left is the flux mixers on the nacelles, the 3 squarish parts of the engineering hull (at the front) and a couple of lights!Then, I can texture it. :-beerchug

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Finished the post-stage flux tuners. =)Enterprise6.jpgDang things took me awhile as I was unable to just loft them. So, had to make them from a box and a spline cage. Came out great though in the end which is all I care about.The main flux tuners with the inset in the inboard side of the nacelle will be more challenging, but it is the last challenge, the rest is cake.If I had a better computer, I could have made a video series on how to make this great model.I wonder if anyone else has any sci-fi ships they created.

Just so you know, the actual color is not white... it's a color commonly labeled "robin's egg blue".

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>Just so you know, the actual color is not white... it's a>color commonly labeled "robin's egg blue"Do not fear, the color you see here is just a rough one until I texture put final materials on it.Having touchted the model, I'd have to say this is a myth probably due to two factors. a) A light-blue weathering that can be seen in a photo I have but was unable to locate yet, around the penciled in panel lines. This photo was however taken after years of storage and modifications. :( The effects of lighting caustics when being filmed in bluescreen.Here you can see the hull color under full studio lighting:http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...ionics/tosb.jpgand here you can see that with the caustics it appears more bluish:http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...cs/bluescr1.jpgdue to the lighting. Also, if you look at the more recent 3 footer used in one of the movies, you can clearly see it is not blue too.Of course, the model no longer looks as it did when they were filming, as it has been heavily modified and re-built. I'm basising this off of the model as it was while filming, and when I personally saw it, then informed by actual shots of it on and off screen.But hey, post an RGB and we'll see what it looks like if you think you have a good color.Patrick

Well... you an argue with me if ya want... or just dismiss it... but, trust me... the physical color was "robins egg blue". ;) They chose the color because under the intense white lighting in the studio... it would "appear" white and yet not cause bright whiteouts while being filmed.I know this due to having interacted with people who worked with said prop as well as later show props.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Albatross7107

Yes it is.To be constructive, there is some detail (maybe thats what you meant) missing from the inside of the nacelles, runs down the length of the cylinder.

For heaven's sake, it really doesn't matter what color the physical model is in real life, what is important is that the model appear to have the same color as it was viewed on screen! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I believe someone already made reference to me... "canon". ;)The irony is... this blue is barely, and I really mean BARELY blue... you wouldn't call it a blue if you saw it without a name. :)Here's the RGB... but I think it's a bit "off": 204,255,255

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Almost there. Put the main flux tuners where they belong, and created the post stage tuners I had mistaken them for originally.Finished the pre-stage detail, and the warp cooling detail. Now just have to cut the inner detail in the nacelles, and then the modeling is done! At least until I decide to add anything I missed or want to detail rather than texture.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...nterprise11.jpgI spent a few hours reducing the polys too, so now it is done to a resonable 40K, but you can get really really close to it and it still looks great. :DI'm still debating on how I'm going to do the collector animation. I might use a light rig, or I might play with just animating a texture. I think I'll get a better result from the light rig.Patrick

After doing some color research, Pantone... etc... the RGB would be 235,255,255

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69