Sign in to follow this  
Qatsimo

rain/snow on windshield in fsx

a plee to developers to build in rain/snow depiction on the windshield. I know the animated effects no longer exist in fsx. My thoughts were it should be possible somehow to build in this effect by means of a still image, like its done with cockpit reflection. Only difference it needs a trigger from rain or snowfall to become active. A bitmap that shows raindrops, greyness, some dirt maybe and a clean wiper area. For me and i guess many others, although a still image it would add a lot to immersion. Regards, Gerrit

Hi,momentarely i'm working on a effect file myself to depict a rainy day on the fsx windshield. And it looks awesome, if i may say so ;) As wet as FSX can get! :) The effect filters out the bright sunlight, and adds static rain drops and moving drops on the windshield. The drops look so real it's if they act like lenses in the sim. The effect file is almost ready, i only have to put in the snow part for when the temperature drops below 1*C. I could need some help on how to get the effect activated in the sim when precipitation occurs. I'm an absolute NOOB in things like xml, which i guess is needed to trigger it. If someone could help me out, by pointing me in the right direction, i'll be very thankfull.Because the effects tool isn't ment for modeling there are some glitches. The vc eyepoint best shouldn't move, so for TrackIR users i'll have to make a less impressive version. Without the static raindrops. Well, thats why we cut the prizes in half for this effect when it becomes available. Not 00$'s but just one 0$Regards, Gerrithttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/koy...ainonshield.jpg

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Very impressive.It seems that when ACES has removed a feature it is often (not always) because there is a newer way to achieve and even better result. Great job!Luckily, in space there is no rain or snow. :)

Thankyou!, but as said, the effects engine has nasty limitations. It would be nice if this engine would have been further developed to allow for true precipitation effects. I'm referring to the appr. 3 meter bubble around the cockpit that prevents sprites to be visible within this limit. Probably because of not having all the clouds going through the vc :) If the rain bitmaps could be positioned on the windshield, the effect would be perfect. It is very framerate friendly. Now the only possible way is to position the bitmaps some meters outside the plane and scale them to the illusion of being on the windshield. This is good, as long the viewpoint doesn't change (like taking the right seat) But i continue, i can't virtually live with rainy wet runways and aprons... and dry windows ;( Regards, Gerrit

VC Rain was lost when ACES gutted the old rendering system so they could build the new, Shader based renderer using the GPU on the video card.There wasn't any choice really, since DX10 Shaders required this step. Unfortunately, ACES didn't have time to develop a replacement for it... :(I'm sure it will return someday... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Patrick_Waugh

That would be from what is call the camera's near "clipping" range. Likely for the reason you stated.Brilliant solution.

Guest Russia

ahhh man that is badass when are you going to release it ?

soon i hope :) Now i've put in the snow part and i have to do some flights in different jets to see if it suits all jet planes. Some small adjustments here and there like there was an issue with the sunlight filter at night. It would dim nightlighting too much, but the solution i found is very satisfying. Nice thingy is when climbing to altitudes where the temp. drops below 1

thks for the insight Bill, i'll hope the next SP will let it return. But let it be d#mn well moddable then ;)