Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Subpanel Question

I have a panel thet has several subpanels. When I click on the Simicon to open the subpanel some of the subpanels appear behind the main panel and some appear in front of the main panel. If I click on the portion of the subpanel that shows it will jump to the front of the main panel. What controls the way the subpanels show? Why do some appear in front and some in the rear of the main panel? How can I fix it? Thanks, regards, Bob.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Bob,You use the undocumented panel.cfg command: zorder=3where you number them with higher numbers appearing on top of lower numbers.Patrick

Hi,Try to use zorder=.. in the panel.cfg:eg.[Window00]file=main.bmp etc.zorder=0[Window01]file=overhead.bmp etc.zorder=1etc.the highest "zorder" will be on the front and the lowest on the rear.Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Hi Patrick. I am still confused a little. Say I have a main window which I want visible and want to open all of the subpanels on top of it do I have put Zorder=1 in each subpanel window section of the panel.cfg? Like for example:Main panelzorder=0subpanelzorder=1....subpanel2zorder=1Would this get all subpanels on top of the main panel? Sorry for my stupidity. Thanks and best regards, Bob.

Hi Jan. See my reply to Patrick above. If I have multiple subpanels and I want all of which displayed on top of the main does each window section have to have the higher zorder number in it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area. Thanks and best regards,Bob.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

> If I have multiple subpanels and I want all of which displayed> on top of the main does each window section have to have the> higher zorder number in it? Sorry for my lack of knowledge in> this area. Thanks and best regards,Bob.Bob,You will ALWAYS have multiple "sub-panels" (ie windows), and just like the default aircraft, ALL the sub-panels will display (by default) on top of the main panel (provided you follow the SDK conventions in naming etc.)."zorder" is an optional undocumented panel.cfg value that allows you optional control over panel order. Windows with higher z-order numbers will display on top of those with lower numbers. If you use the same number (try it) the behavior (ie order) is undefined, and will just be whatever happens. If you do not number all the windows, again, the behavior is undefined, so you will get all the z-order windows in the order you define, with the others falling where the sim lets them fall.In other words, if you define it for one, then you may as well define it for all so you are sure what order you get.Remember, don't be afraid to experiment. Try things out.Patrick

Hi Patrick. Thanks. I have been working with panels and FSPanelStudio for some time. Most all of the panels I have worked with in the past the subpanels all showed on top. This one is different. I looked in FSPanelStudio and see the Zorder called out. There is no info in the help that I could see for it. I went in and called the main window zorder=0 and all the rest to zoder=1. It now seems to work OK. Thanks for the help and to all the others that answered here. It is really strange that this panel is different from all of the previous ones I have played with. Best regards, Bob.

>Bob,>>You use the undocumented panel.cfg command:>> zorder=3Well, "undocumented" unti the FSX SDK SP1a at least... ;)Thanks for asking, Bob. It actually jogged my memory so I could solve a popup panel issue myself! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator