Sign in to follow this  
WarpD

Gauge with Bitmaps

Guest schwudde

Yes, i've noticed that this "tick" happens about every second. And if you look at the Standard FSX-737 (which Gauges are written in XML) there is the same Problem (except that it seems they have limited the Gauge-Refresh Rate so this ASI don't run smoothly anytime).I'm sure there is no Code in my Gauge that could cause the Problem. And it is only in the Airspeed Value, all other runs fine. Except that i've noticed that some GPS-Vars are updated only once per second (like GPS GroundSpeed and GroundTrack).

Sven,I'm afraid I won't be able to download your files until the next 7 hours, that's what its says in the holding site due to not being a premium member :-(However, during my coffee break I did a test on FSX 737 and didn't find anything weird on the ASI tape's behavior. It works as expected according with its XML code and bitmap's sizes -both for IAS and TAS. And its refresh rate is the standard (18 ticks/secs), nothing strange here as well. Are you using a tape or a needle for your ASI? If you test IAS value with a string text, you'll see that fractional values are well handled, also the stutters I speak of are noticeable as little "jumps" on a range of one knot with fractions, nothing bigger than that.Tom

Guest schwudde

Tom,it seems that FSX "rounds" the Airspeed Value every full 18hz Cycle to full knots (up or down). And that happens on the Standard 737 too (FSX with SP2). If you're able please Download the Videos and you will see the Problem. My Code was checked by an professioal C++ Programmr too, he couldn't find any Errors that could cause this Problems.Anyway, i emailed Susan Ashlock yesterday. Got an Answer that she will try to reproduce this Problem.Kind Regards

Sven,(A:Airspeed Select Indicated or True, knots) used in 737/A321/747and(A:Airspeed Indicated, knots)Both XML vars work perfect in my FSX SP2 system. No roundings every 18 hz cycle or whatever. I'm afraid the problem is anywhere else. I didn't make code in C for the Airspeed yet, not even usded GDI+. But I would think if it's not your code, should be something related to C/GDI+...TomPS: I still cannot download your videos, it says I need to install a toolbal, which I wouldn't do by any chance.

Guest schwudde

Tom,i will take a look on the Standard 747 ASI (and A321) to see if they working fine. For me in the 737 are the same Probs (but that ASI don't run smoothly by default i think).I don't know what i can do in my Code to prevent this behavior. It's not the Airspeed-Readout only, the moving Tape is affected too as it uses the same Variable. The Altimeter Tape works fine, it uses the same technic to transform. The only Difference is the Variable...I've uploaded the Video to another free file hosting service, "megaupload" seems very poor. I'm soory for that. Here is a new Link:http://www.mediafire.com/?1xmbj4ztd0vEdit: especially on the Standard 747 ASI it is the same Problem. On my System... (Vista Business 32bit, FSX SP2)Kind Regards

Sven,Finally I saw your video :-) And I understand what you mean; also -and as I already told you - it's related to the characteristics of IAS calculations by FS, that are probably affected by simulation of sudden pressure changes (which of course are simulated too). Real IAS values would be probably affected in a similar way; the only difference is that real instruments have calibrations and corrections to minimize this effect.Now, early this morning I made a test using a damping formula (XML) for the IAS raw data returned by XML Avars and seems to smooth it well, at least reading the resultant value in a text string.I'll try to test the same by coding a C gauge, and let you know.Tom

Tom Not sure why, But this seems to help in my gauge. 1n0n9n8n7n6n5n4n3n2n1n0n9(A:AIRSPEED INDICATED, knots) 0 max 10 %

Paul EGLD

Paul,That is because of the tag. It's certainly an easy way to damp a value -a good one for sure.In this case I prefer to use a damping formula that can even be dynamically adjusted to deal with extreme stutters like those produced when riding in turbulent air.AFAIK there's no C parameter equivalent for , it has to be done by damping code.Tom