Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MD83

Gear Drag Coefficient of 380?

HiI made a test flight in the Coral F-15C (available in the library). I attempted a Mach 2.5 run on internal tanks, ran low on fuel, and made a dead stick landing :-lol. The dead stick landing was my fault, but what surprised me was the landing gear drag! The F-15's "Air File" has a gear drag coefficient of 380, compared to 340 for the spoiler ... surely that's a little high?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Coefficients are always a value of less than 1... What did you use to look at the value with?I looked at it... here's the values I saw:Cd_g: 0.13671Cd_ds: 0.15625The spoilers have a higher coefficient than the gear. However, the gear may indeed have too high a coefficient since typical values are in the 0.04 and less ranges.

Thanks for replying :)I use AirEd. Here's a screen shot:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192226.jpgThe figures I quoted have been multiplied by 2048, so the actual figure is 0.185546875 for the gear, and 0.166015625 for the spoiler. I use the FS2002 version, so that probably explains the difference in figures. I'm going to reduce the gear drag ;) Thanks again!