Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello Folks.Forgive me if this is covered in another topic but as a newbie with gauge design I am at a loss as to how my XML code and bmps come together as a CAB file.Here's what I've got. I have Notepad++ and CAB Maker. I place my xml and bmps into a folder and use CAB Maker to pack them into a new CAB in my gauges folder.How do I then add another set of code and bmps into that CAB? CAB Maker will not let me add them. I mean like putting lots of xml gauges into one CAB file.I may be missing something here but I am unsure where the xml code and bmps should go and how they eventually end up as a usable gauge.Regards...Kenny

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Kenny,Maybe sounds clumsy :-) , but why don't you simply extract the files from the cab file to a folder where you have the new files to-be-added, and then cab the whole folder again in a new cab file ???One note of warning though.I don't know what you mean with "lots" of gauges in a cab file, but if is hundreds, you better leave the file uncabbed in a folder.I can remember a test I did with ca. 900 files in a cab file, and the aircraft took about 20 sec. longer to load (compared to having the files uncabbed in a folder) because of the real-time extraction overhead.Rob

Hi Rob.That's a great idea. A bit of reverse thinking LOL for me there.I will just have to be aware of my naming conventions. I am not great at thinking out of the box, so I will write gauge names etc down before extracting and re-cabbing.Maybe one day I will aspire to hundreds of gauges in a cab file (grin) but I just meant that most of the panels I download have maybe ten or twenty gauges and their bmps all included in a named cab file.Rob, I am a beginner at XML and I have Tutorials to follow but I have fallen at the first hurdle. I have used PSP to make a graphic of a display type gauge and my plan is to have some windows display in it. My first one is a well known TCAS/radar window. Using Panel Studio to place it is not a problem and it toggles on /off ok. However I have made a simple power button using two bmps but my first attempt at XML does not toggle the on/off bmps. Would you mind taking a look to see where I have gone wrong? Here's my code. I think that I have done what the tutorial says but I don't know what's wrong. :-(L:pwrbutton,bool)(L:pwrbutton)!(>L:pwrbutton) 90 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)Display/Hide a/c radar

(L:pwrbutton)!(>L:pwrbutton)should be (L:pwrbutton,bool) ! (>L:pwrbutton,bool)- Always use a space around operators (not sure about this case, but sometimes it's needed, sometimes not. So I always do.)- Unlike G:Vars, L:Vars ALWAYS need a unit specification, like bool, enum, number. If noit specified, it won't work.I think forgetting the "unit" is the single-most error I always make myself in XML coding :-) ...Also:Delete the HelpiD line; it's of no use here if you use your own Tooltip Cheers, Rob

HaaHaa. Rob, that works just fine thanks. I can now use that code for all my power switches. I also got some input from Jan in another post and his code also works. I now know that there are several options re. the XML code. The tutorial I am following must assume a certain level of knowledge of XML. It missed the bit about the unit value when using L vars.I will try and find a more basic tutorial which is more of a primer.Thanks again.Regards...Kenny

Hi Rob,I must be honest here and say that is the tutorial I was following. It is a great site and I am reading through it and trying to follow the reasoning. However, at my level of knowledge, I can see that It will be a steep learning curve. The information is there but I am not at ease with it yet, hence my failure to pick up on the 'unit' part of the code.Still, it is early days and I will continue to work through the process of adapting 'my' panel making new switches and gauges to suit my needs.It is a fascinating but frustrating part of our hobby and I look foeward to learning more.Regards...Kenny