Sign in to follow this  
Guest GerrishGray

It seems landclasses are only valid for flat land and %

not for steep terrain!I started correcting the deafault landclasses around my hometowns airport with John Cillis great Landclass Assistant and Orlando Sotomayor's landclass values.First you have to imagine the aiport is in a valley. Between the aiport and a close mountain range there is flat land. The default scenery on the flat land and on the mountain range consists of dense pineforests although in reality there is a suburban residential area which streches from the airport quite high up into the foothills of the mountainrange.So I created a bgl and put it into the scenery folder started FS2002 anch checked the results, which looked perfect for the flat land and for a few hundred feet up into the foothills. But above not suburban residential area replaced the default pine forests but bare, naked yellowish/brownish rocks.I dit some experiments and tried bgls for diferent residential and also city landclasses. The effect was the smae fo all landclasses: on the mountainside the residential textures "turned" into rocks. Only the colour of the rocks was different depending on what residential landclass was used.This made me curious and I tried different forest landclasses. They all were fine on the flat land but on the steep tarrain they appeared as grass land, again with different colours depending on the landclass.The only landclass I have found so far which looks the same on flat and steep terrain is ocean landclass 000.Anybody else made this experiences? Any ideas for solutions are very much appreciated.Regards,Wolfgang

I have not tested this very good yet, but I have read that the landclass also depends on the slope of the mesh scenery. If it is very steep for example no trees are drawn, because that is not very realistic in such a case. I think that also explains why you get rocks instead of a village.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest nhill

Hi, this is not a problem with landclass but one of the limitations of the FS2002 textures and how they are implemented. I have tested all city/residential textures and they don't showup on anything but flat or slight slopes. You just have to put them where they belong and live with what shows up.Neil

I have a great mesh scenery of the Angel Falls region of Venezuala, and the same issue happens, and is fairly static due to MS's intentions. The original problem was the "stretching" of textures over steep terrain, which Microsoft addressed by what I call "Rocky".Using my Landclass Assistant, I have been able to lay city textures on 30-40 degree slopes. It's possible that Microsoft will offer a switch in the next Terrain SDK release (let's call it /noslope). If you're reading Microsoft, the idea came from me :)I'm already working on release 1.11, but don't plan on posting it to the library for about 4-6 weeks. I've added a couple of features, the most important being a dropdown, sortable landclass selection window. Anyone interested in beta testing can drop me an email (the address is in the landclass docs). The update will be less than 100K, and I'll probably be finished by next weekend. The rest of the delay is my hopeful stance that a new Terrain SDK may be coming--perhaps with new features I can exploit in my app.Regards,JohnAuthor, Landclass Assistant

Thanks a lot for your replies guys!Wolfgang

Guest cwright

Wolfgang, after generating landclass data for my own mesh designs in FS2002 I noticed the same thing: that on steep, cliff-like features FS substitutes rocky textures. I doubt if this can be changed. However, for my own scenery I think it's a great feature, as the steep areas look more dramatic as well as realistic. Also, as the textures are projected sideways and not from above, the textures remain sharp without smearing. But maybe, when the scenery SDK finally emerges, it will be possible to have control over this feature. Best regards, Chris

I am trying to modify some landclasses in Sicily, in order to add some towns and villages. Some parts of Sicily are quite rugged, and some settlements are located on peaks or ridges (which are very well rendered by Thierry Pignot's excellent mesh). Modifying the landclass to values of 121 will not produce the desired effect. I tried other values with no better results: only tiny strips of a city would appear at the foot of the peak. The only landclass which seems to work is 001, but with an ugly effect (what I try and produce are typical dense villages).According to what you say you managed to put towns on slopes.I would be grateful if you could indicate me the landclass numbers with which this is possible.

Hi tagada2.The use of invisible TDF flattens ( LWM code ) should allow the city and autogen to show on plateaued areas correctly. I'm not sure of the minimum size needed for the flattens, but I've had autogen pop up through a one point wide crack between my VTP textures ( average - 4.8 meters ). So I'm thinking small terracing of the mesh by flattens would place the textures and autogen.Dick

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysThe first point to make in reply to some of the posts on this thread is that there will be NO MORE SDK's for FS2002 - Microsoft have already told us that quite clearly. The last SDK's were released in August and are available from http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/default.aspAs I underdstand it, the FS2002 project was wound up on 31 August and there is therefore probably no prospect of this decision being changed.Landclasses are mapped to ground textures in lclookup.bgl. The mappings include a separate entry for the ground texture to be used on steep slopes, and only a limited number of the landclasses are mapped to the same textures on steep slopes as they are on flatter land. However[ul][li]Most of the forest landclasses do display vegetation on slopes as well as on flat land[/li][li]The only landclass that displays buildings on steep slopes is 121 - dense high-rise city centres. It is actually possible to re-use this landclass to create one for a different building type on a localised basis, so that would be a solution to the mountain villages problem. But note that NO other landclass has this capability because of the lclookup mappings.[/li][/ul]Hope this helps.Gerrish