Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

FS2k2 roads using the Terrain SDK?

Hi!Has anybody got it now how to build FS2k2-roads using Microsoft's BGL Compiler? I don't have many programming skills and for me it would take a year to understand what the "Terrain Vector Data.doc" says.I would be pleased if anybody could send an example of a source-code which would give a much better insight.ThanksSasa

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Sasa.I hope to have a VTP tutorial posted soon. But, for now, you better resign yourself to learning BGLC/MASM.It's not very difficult, as it is mostly plugging values into Macro calls.It may be some while before a 'road consturction set' is made.Start learning with the LWM Tutorial, build water and land and flattens. Then advance to VTP Method1 polygons, and VTP Method2 polygons.Read the posts by 'knnygar'. He started with no knowledge, and was able to build islands, extend coasts, remesh, place new excluding shorelines... all in a few weeks.Read. There is no way around it.Dick

It was alot of trial and error and I almost gave upBut I'm glad I continued because the end result was so good ;-)But it takes alot of time :-(PS I uploaded my scenery to flightsim.no today so it should be up in a couple of days :-sun1

Congratulations, Knnygar! I know that was tough... my first tiny scenery file is still very much "in the oven". Glad you got yours released!

Fantastic fjord !Will you correct also the roads runbning up the mountains ?Thanks so farTN

I will continue to work on the scenery.When someone finds out how to move the roads I will try to get that too.

Hi Knnygar.The roads are just like the shorelines! They use a road texture, instead of a shore texture, and their layer is 31 or 32. The default roads can be excluded from an Area just like default shorelines.The VTPTextureType should be 3, 0, 0, 4.... as discussed in the Terrain SDK.Dick

I just need a little break after the stress of getting the first version out.The roads will be my next project I think, because that's what people notice first.I think I will try this graphical program I have seen discussed in some posts here :-)

Hi Sasa,I now have uploadet the file "SCM2VTP.ZIP" to the AVSIM Library. The program SCM2VTP.EXE at this file converts old style FS2000 roads to FS2002 VTP-roads following the tutorial of Richard Ludowise. The input are SCASM input files whitch should contain command lines with the commands "RefPoint(...", "RRStart(..." or "RoadStart(...", and "RoadCont(...". Output is to a file "OUTPUT.ASM" or "OUTPUTx.ASM" so at least nothing is overwritten or destroyd by the program. The OUTPUT.ASM file has to be compiled with the BGLC.EXE program and the then created OUTPUT.BGL file can be tested in FS2002. Until now it only works if not more then ~10 roads are compiled in one task, but at least you will get some ASM demonstration code in this way.Best regards Falko

>Hi Sasa, >I now have uploadet the file "SCM2VTP.ZIP" to the AVSIM >Library. The program SCM2VTP.EXE at this file converts old >style FS2000 roads to FS2002 VTP-roads following the >tutorial of Richard Ludowise. The input are SCASM input >files whitch should contain command lines with the commands >"RefPoint(...", "RRStart(..." or "RoadStart(...", and >"RoadCont(...". Output is to a file "OUTPUT.ASM" or >"OUTPUTx.ASM" so at least nothing is overwritten or destroyd >by the program. The OUTPUT.ASM file has to be compiled with >the BGLC.EXE program and the then created OUTPUT.BGL file >can be tested in FS2002. Until now it only works if not more >then ~10 roads are compiled in one task, but at least you >will get some ASM demonstration code in this way. >Best regards >Falko >Dear Falko,Your "SCASM'roads post-processor" solves the graphical interface problem that we have to design with VTP polys. I have 2 questions. Is there a limit on the number of points? Can it be used to generate coastlines (with waves effects and so)?Thank you, Luis

Hi Falko.I have not yet tried your program.Is the output VTP Method2 lines ( used in FS2002 ), or are they VTP Method1 "strips", as used in CFS2?Also, I don't think there should be a problem with shorelines... the difference is the texture. The orientation is also a problem with the shores ( I think you keep the land to the right ). Waves are assigned by the texture if you use the numbers in "terraintextures.cfg".Dick

Hi Luis, hi Dick,the program generates VTPMethode2 lines. I you want to create coastlines with wave effekt you have to edit the output file and change one of the texture nubers to a texture with wave effekt. The numbers are found in the terraintextures.cfg file in the main FS2002 directory. You also have to change the first number in the VTPTextureId field to match the texture. First texture in the texture list in the output file is 0, second is 1, and so on. The VTPMethode2 generats lines, so you only have to give to points, start point and one continue point to generate an road. Since the roads should match the FS Cell, the program breaks up longer roads in smaller pieces and starts with a new road when the border of a cell is crossed. The number of points in an data block is limited to 158, the program starts with an new road when this limit is reached, at least it should do so.Best regardsFalko

I am experimenting with scm2vtp and having problems gettings roads to appear.1) When I run scm2vtp a get a message saying: "Fehler aufgetreten"2)The BGLHeader Line reads:BGLHeader 1, -1, 1, -1, TerrainHeaderStart, VTPHeader, do the coordinates have to be entered manually?3) Does it matter what directory the final bgl is placed in.Thanks David

After posting this message I tried generating the same scasm code with FSSC and the bgl compiled ok, odd?David

Hi David,thank you for testing my program! The error means the program could not read in the RefPoint line, so all of the calculations will be wrong. If at all, your roads will appear at the equator at the Greenwich meridian. Perhaps you could post an example of your SCASM code so I can correct the program. One RefPoint line and one RRStart line would be sufficient. The BGL files should be placed in the same scenery directory as other custom BGL files for that region.Best regardsFalko