Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

newbie - how do i get started?

which software do i purchase?i want to be able to share it with othersalso, im not lookin' to get complicated, i would like to put in some docks and small sheds/buildings, etc, thats all, oh would like a way to light water runways, if thats possible, like with burning floating oil cans or something?thanksciao!Brian S

Ciao!

If you bought fs2k2 PRO, I'd start learning GMAX....seems like objects are your interest. Read the effect sdk for the burning effects.Bob B

Hi,As Bob mentioned, there is no need to go buy anything. GMAX is what you need for 3d-design (like the things you mentioned, oil cans etc. etc.). When you have learnt how to create 3d-objects in GMAX and export them to the sim (might take some time, but there are tutorials out there), there is a small and simple program for adding effects (fx-files). The program is called FS FX, which outputs API-files. API-files are placed into the simulator with a ground editor like Airport for Windows (airportforwindows.com), FS Scenery Creator or GroundMaker (all those are free). For texture convertion from your image editor to sim textures (dxt popular these days), you will also need DxtBmp or ImageTool (both free).

Hi Brian,Ditto on what the others have said. I've designed scenery using nothing but Gmax (freely available), Airport 2.6 (also free) and various free tools from the FS2002 SDKs. No need to open the wallet to do quality work! Which of course allows you to go hog-wild buying airplanes.... ;-)Good luck! It's quite a journey you're embarking on.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit