Sign in to follow this  

FS Century of Flight

Guest gorchi

Hi Guys,maybe You allready knew that Microsft is planning to release a new version of Flight Simulator: Century of Flight in summer of this year. Now I wonder if this will be FS 2004 or just a special version of FS. What do You think?Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Good news, Goran."Aircraft and scenery created for Flight Simulator 2000 and later work with Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Flight, provided the developer followed the guidelines in the Flight Simulator SDK. "Thankfully, it's not CFS3.5! It isn't called FS2004, but it probably will be coded version 9 .... and will need Directx9. The announcement states a Directx7 videocard will work.Seems like good news to me. We can keep working!FS9 ScreenShotsDick

Guest gorchi

Hi Rhumba!You have sharp eyes and now I am singing and dancing! :-hah Thanks god our recently developed sceneries will continue to work and it really seems like great news!Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi Goran.They also hint they will release some tools.I hope they take it easy on the 'improvements', and make sure they really are improvements.I note on the Wright Bros. aircraft at the hanger: higher resolution ground texturing.What fun! now we can all overspeculate until it arrives. :-lol Dick

Guest christian

I love this feature list. It really had me drooling for a while. Having a bit of a think about it, it really seems to me as if this version will be just an extended version of FS2002, ie FS2002 with a few patches (high quality patches though :) ). Doesn't really bother me though, if they can realise the weather and other stuff like they have put it on the feature list, I'll be one of the first to run out and buy it.The summer release date has me a bit worried. This really means that the game has to be mostly finished already if they want to have enough time to wipe out bugs. I don't expect the final version to look much different than the screenshots. It doesn't seem to look much different than FS2002 really, which feels a bit strange, since game developpers always seem to push the graphics limit to sell their games. On the other hand, we can't be upset about it, since most of us (inluding me) were constantly nagging that we want physics rather than graphics. I for one though will keep my word, even if the graphics will not be much different to FS2002, if finally there is a huge improvement in physics and the weather is truly dynamic, yep, I'll run out and buy it. Let's see if the new version will keep what's promised.On the tools side I don't expect much. gmax was on the list and then 'some new tools'. From my experience I don't really expect much there. On the other hand old stuff will work, so I'm not too bothered. We are slowly getting on top of FS2002 and if the scenery engine isn't changing much our FS2002 tools will still work...:-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy Cheers, Christian

If they do all they write (and release some extra SDK's soon after it :)) it looks like we are going to have a lot of fun.I also love the idea of all those oldies included in it :D.Another note, they seem to call it Fs9.0, where Fs2002 is Fs8.0. So then they don't see it as a small improvement (then it would be 8.1 or so, just like Fs98 which was called 6.1 if I remember correct).I don't think this is the Fs2004 that has been talked about a lot already. I already heard some rumours that that version would come out somewhere next year and not end of this year. With this version in between that makes sense.Let's me also think, in the discussion about the new commands (FP) etc it was said that also backwards support for two version. Now we have a version between Fs2002 and Fs2004 then it might make sense that Fs2004 might only support FP commands, but that's just guessing of course :D, we'll have to wait as ussual.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

hi allIts always exciting to here news about improved products from MsFsThe change in release date and name, all have a suggestion of a change in convention, and from what I have read in other forums at Avsim, they are honouring and granting alot of requests from users.I agree with arno, that this release is not the norm', and may be they are testing the water for VC's, both with user's and Developers a like, as Arno says, it does provide more breathing space for backward compatiblity and hints on a more massive step, and time to prepare. May be they are fed up with Even No's, looking forward to a FS2005 ReleaseI am reasured that no immediate change will take place in the Scenery Engine other what we are already are aware of, and that our sceneies will remain compatible, which will enable us to refine what we do. I am very enuthusiastic about the recent development in Photorealistic scenery in the Uk, where we don't have such access to Satalite images, as in the states. I would hope that any future changes would help this technolegy, as it does have some teething problems, but the future looks bright. Was that a sigh of relief, PHOOF...........I will use the New Email address as they say, we don't need replies just that they read them, which they have been doing which is a credit I think. I shall lobby them, as we all could, about the SDK's as Arno said!!!!Some how, although I am not a fan of some of these older aircraft, their is a romance about them which is irrelistible and it does close the gap and make the product 'complete' from 1903, was it....which sounds like a marketing ploy by MS. Either way, it is a remarkable century of Flight, minus the Airbus off course!!!!That's my thoughts, and to sum up, continuation and backward support for all without the loss of progressRegardsDave

Guest gorchi

Hi all!Maybe this time Microsoft will surprise us with tools they are promising. Okay, gmax is known one but the other tools... I am really curious about them!Arno, it really makes sense. This version should then be the last one to support old point commands. Now we can only wish to postpone FS2004 (or FS2006?) just a little to make the best of all new features this version will bring to us and hopefully we'll see scenery SDK release ASAP:)Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest JoeW

I hope they come out with a better GMax..... The current one V1.2 will not install on my machine. I uninstalled v 1.0 thru the control Panel and the new one wants me to do that. I have removed all traces in the registry and flushed the cookie out. I canot find any reference to GMax or Discreet or Autodesk in my registry. You would think that a Freeware program would not have this much security.I would like to get to be able to use Gmax but it wont install.....I have been to the forum and they recomended that I uninstall FS2002 and loose all the payware programs I Have to be able to install this " Freeware" program.Yea.......... Right!Joe W.

I think you can't expect that. Remember MS doesn't make GMax themself, they just supply it with FS. So it is probably the last version Discrete then has available that will ship with FsCF.Also, it is not a freeware program I would say, it is available for free, that is true, but it's a stripped down version of normal commercial program. That's probably why all the registration stuff is still in it.Back to your problem, I don't think that uninstalling FS will help you. FS has nothing to do with installing GMax. So it must be that somewhere a file or registry entry or whatever is left on your system that confuses the installer and prevents you from installing. Have you already contacted Discreet (or the forum there) about this problem? As it is their product, they should be able to help you.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest JoeW

Yes ...I have..I have email the support for Descreet also....This has been going on for more than 3 months.Joe