Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Another Ground2K Shoreline Problem

As usual probably my error but I cannot find it. The picture below shows that the shoreline while visible is not de-marcing the land from the water, Using Line/shore with 109 lake/white sand texture. Land On Right not checked. Join not checked. Assume the the LWM poly water/land selection have no effect - I tried them and no effect. VTP2 & VTP1 not selected. Where water interfaces to some textures the elevations are higher than the general lake elevation. I laid down LC out into the lake and ran the shore line through this area but same results - land appears on both sides of the shoreline.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hello Dick,Try: - check "Land on right" (and make sure that you draw the line with land on the right) - uncheck "Join ends of lines" - in the LWM/Poly section, check "Land"You do not have to draw your line again. Just select it, right click to get the attributes page and make the above changes.See if this works.Best regards.Luis

Luis thanks for the reply.I have tried that and other combinations but I can't get the shoreline to mask the land and show water. One note - the elevations to the left of the shoreline vary as it there should be land there. I have aded landclass textures and also used F1 (area attributes) to set that area to land but same result. This is an unusual shoreline where considerable land area is just at lake level. Small islands less than a meter above water exist to the left of the shoreline. They are not shown due to no textures being provided by FS.I have done shorelines with a poly outlined lake ok. It is just the "line" shoreline that does not work for me.Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Dick.I'm sensing you still have a confusion as to the terminology of LWMs and VTPs. You need to study the SDK to clear that up, and you may need to review Christian's Ground2k readme.Shorelines do not mask anything. They are VTP lines. Christian's program has automated the LWM masking, and the VTP lining, as ( optionally ), one procedure, instead of 2.In your picture, it looks as though there is no landfilling ( 1x1 fills ) to extend the land into the lake(?) area. Fill that area.Then, as Luis pointed out, you should be able to mask the water over the newly filled land... with a vtp line added by Christian's program as well.It's possible that the BGLs simply aren't going where you wanted them. I wasted about 2 hours, and pulled some hair, when I discovered my compiled bgls were not being placed where I thought they were... and couldn't understand why the scenery didn't reflect the changes I made. :-lolPart of your problem may be that you have launched a complicated project, without practicing smaller, well defined lessons. Smaller, less ambitious lessons will teach you both the LWM and VTP process, and how they interact with landclass and waterclass, and the Ground2K program as well.Dick