Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Flat area question

Hi Everyone,Does anyone know how to control the diameter of a flat area? I am putting together a lodge and a couple of outlaying cabins on a gentle downward slope. I want to put the lodge at the top of the "Hill", with the cabins situated lower on the slope towards the lake front. I am trying for a terraced effect with the building inside their own tightly defined flat area. Right now, if I make a flat area, it makes the entire hill I'm building on flat. Anyway, If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!! :-)Thanks in advance for your help.Regards,Paul

Does it even destroy the hill if you make a really small flatten area?Otherwise you might want to try LWM flatten polygons, maybe these give different results?Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno,Thanks for the reply. I am using FSSC and I am making the flat area just slightly bigger that the cabin and yes, it wipes out most of the hill. I've been using LWMDraw4 for awhile now making mesh clinging dirt strips for my bush scenery. I'll try to make a LWM flatten poly tonight and see what happens. I've never made an LWM flatten poly before though. Can you maybe point me in the right direction in regards to making one? In the mean time, I'll do a searh of the forum and see if there has been discussion on the subject before.I really appreciate your help Arno. I've been reading yours, as well as everyone elses posts here for quite awhile and I'm really impressed by the service you all provide for us fledging scenery designers. Thanks!Warn Regards,Paul

Hi Paul.The size of the mesh will also influence the size of the flatten, so if your mesh is at LOD 6, the flatten will be as well ( I think! ).Steve Greenwood found that there is no advantage to using LWM flattens over the FS2000 flattens ( Area16n SCASM ).Also, in the "FS2002.CFG" file there is a line:TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19You might be able to "sharpen" the mesh by raising this to 20 or 21... but then your system won't be standard anymore, if you want to share your scenery. I leave mine at the default of 19, as that doesn't interfere with how default LWM flattens look.Dick