Sign in to follow this  

Dynamic grund vehicles

helloI used FSDS1 to create some trucks to use in dynamic ground scenery. I used the Raw BGL output option, used the Dynkit program to make a library, made a path in FS and then used FSDyn to put it all together. The problem is that the object doesn't show up. I tried the same steps with an old FS98 plane, and that worked fine. Am I doing something wrong with FSDS? When I import the shape into DynKit, I get a message saying "Unknown SDL opcode encountered..." Does anyone know how I can fix this?ThanksSergs

I think this means that DynKit can not read the code FSDS uses in the BGL file. I haven't tried it myself, but probably it will not work then because the BGL code has changed since DynKit was written.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi ArnoThanks for the reply. I fixed the problem-all it was is that the object was a little bit too big. I deleted some parts that weren't needed and it now works fine.Thanks once againSergs

Rhumba,Is that program also compatible for those using FSDS? I've read somewhere it is a GMAX-application, so I browsed through that site (in your link), but couldn't find any info about it...

The program uses the GMax interface to define the path the dynamic object will use, but you can let any object (also designed with FSDS) follow that path afterwards.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi all.I believe a BusyObjects path can be handcoded as well, but it makes infinitely more sense to use Gmax.Gmax is free.http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/... and although you need to own FS2002Pro to make aircraft or scenery, you can still use it for making busy object paths. Gmax needs "FSModelExp.dle" to export for FS2002 objects, and "Pro" is the only source for that.FS2004 will not have a "Pro" version... all users should be able to use Gmax for making aircraft and scenery, so all users should have access to "FSModelExp.dle".BusyObjects also alows you to define a path as a SCASM road... so you can use your placed objects as 'pylons' in your favorite SCASM GUI to help you create the path around them. Airport and FSSC also allow a background ( screenshot ) to act as a template upon which to place these narrow roads ( 1 meter or less in width ). You can make a very acurrate path this way. You then can import this scasm road path to Gmax, and export the code for BusyObjects.It's much more complicated to describe path making than it is to create one. The moving object is a library object. I used a default MS sailboat, and had a very smooth boat sailing Delavan Lake in my VTP/LWM rework of Walworth County Wisconsin. It didn't take long, once I had figured out the details... it was actually fun to create.I beleive there are no restrictions on the number of busy objects you can have wandering around at the same time. The framerates will be affected, but only by the number of polygons in the objects. Keep the objects simple ( with good texturing to fake complexity ), and you could easily have dozens of moving objects in a scenery. This makes great moving scenery for lakes, roads and airports. I could see it used to create good looking construction sites, or ocean ports. I'm not sure but that it could be used to move effects around, which could lead to all sorts of fun.Dick

Hi everyone,Sorry I hadn't replied earlier, and thanks for the info about BusyObjects. I think i definitly will try it out, especially since i've reached the limit with normal dyn. scenery. But I just can't get the hang of using Gmax for some reason. I've been working with FSDS since it came out, and learned it easily. But as i say, I will try, as it sounds to have more features than standard dyn. scenery anyway.thanks and best regardsSergs

I started the Busy Objects tutorial and if I remember correctly, you just use GMAX as an interface. You do most of your work elsewhere!Probably wrong since its been about a month and a half since I was dabbling with it.

You're right.You can design the path in Airport around your objects as a narrow road, then save the scasm file. Run Gmax, import the scasm file, export the path, close Gmax. Takes about a minute... and you don't need to know anything about Gmax to do it.Dick

HiThanks for the info everyone, that sounds great, I'll be trying it out tonight.Best RegardsSergs