Sign in to follow this  
arno

CAT beta released

Yes, I use VB. I already have another idea, going to give it a try right now.... :D. If it works I will make the people happy that don't like working with BGLC code and hex variables and also the people that want access to that info.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Fantastic! It works great now on my test project... I'm proceeding directly to trying it on a more complex animation. I really like the solution for variable choosing, it's quite elegant and works great. Good work! I'm going to really give it a workout and see how things turn out.thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hi again, Arno,I've been doing some more testing and have come up with an interesting scenerio. My hangar door animation is (as I'm sure you're tired of hearing) comprised of 5 separate door sections that are each animated. With the exception of the innermost sections, each section has three keyframes, the first is the doors closed position, the second keeps the door in place until its "turn" to open and the third is the section's final position. So to make the doors open in a realistic way on a 400-frame timeline, the innermost sections would just start at closed and open all the way at 400, the second section would start closed, then have another keyframe in that same position at frame 80, then be all the way open by frame 400, and so on for each section.Because of the more complex keyframing (not just "open" and "closed"), CAT creates a backwards (doors closing) animation that isn't the reverse of the doors opening. I understand why this is -- after all, the final (outside) door sections would start moving only at keyframe 320 and stop at 400 on the forward animation, but would start moving at keyframe 80 and stop at 400 on the reverse animation. If you think about this, it's pretty clear. I assume CAT is just reversing the translation positions for each keyframe on the reverse animation, right? If so, do you think the math could be worked in to change the keyframing on the reverse so it's a true backwards animation on multiple keyframe anims? You've done a lot already and I love the way the tool works, I'm just curious about how far the concept can be extended. Feel free to tell me to screw off if it's just too much to consider ;-).I've attached a sample gmax project to illustrate my conundrum.thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hi Bill,OK, I think I know what the problem is (already got another report about it). Do all your animations end at the same frame? So do they all stop at 400? Or do some parts have lets say 300 as end? In that case the reverse would indeed go work. Will have a look at it.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Hi Bill,I had an extra look at source file (and the source it made). There was indeed a bug in the calculation of the reverse keyframes. It is fixed in this new version.http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/cat.html

Arno

Guest PaavoP

Oh my God, You upgrade it every day. : )By the way, I got my animation to run as it should. I just simplified the animation a bit.

That why it's called a beta version isn't it? As long as you guys keep sending bugs I will upgrade it. If all (or most) bugs are gone I will release a version 1.0 :).

Arno

Excellent, Arno! I'll d/l it and give it a shot straight away.-Bill

Bill Womack

So far so good! That fixed the animation reversing issue, so I've just got to try it on my real animations now.thanks,

Bill Womack

Hi again, Arno,I've got an interesting scenerio for you. In my hangar door animation, I'm working with a 400-frame timeline to make it open more realistically slowly. I can export the animated bgl into FS2004 (or 2002) and it plays as expected. However, when I use any sort of conditional animation (either done by hand or using CAT), it animates properly to frame 100, then jumps to the end. It's almost as if in a conditional scenerio 100 frames is the max. I can give you some test projects if you like, but I thought you might have some insight into this.thanks,

Bill Womack

Guest PaavoP

Wierd. I had the same problem with my animation. Another CAT bug?

Guest Ideas

I think your Link {Download} on your page is Bad, I cannot Download.

Interesting. I have found that for most animations it works fine. At the moment there is one other animation that jumps strange at return. Can you both send me the source files? I think I should be able to solve it then (while I write this I get an idea about what can be wrong).

Arno