Sign in to follow this  
Guest Larrycx

Need help excluding a tower.

Greetings everyone.I need to get rid of a tower at my local airport. I wondered if anyone 'in the know' would be kind enough to code the following coordinates into 'header/exlude' lines, so that I may simply copy them into a notepad file...for subsequent use in Scasm.NE corner: S 51'41.13' - W 57'46.72'SE corner: S 51'41.15' - W 57'46.72'SW corner: S 51'41.15' - W 57'46.75'NW corner: S 51'41.13' - W 57'46.74'Having read some other posts regarding exluding items of default scenery, I gather that the area to be exluded needs to be quite a bit bigger than the object which I'm trying to get rid of. With this in mind I realise that the above coordinates are very close together. The above coordinates do allow a larger area than the actual tower (probably about a Cessna wingspan from the tower edge on all four side - for lack of a better measurement!). The southerly coordinates can not really be extended as the runway is very close to the tower, however the northern coordinates could be extended without concern. The east and west coordinates could be extended, but not significantly.I have read some other posts regarding exclusion code, but don't seem to be able to get to the bottom of it. Were I deleting/creating scenery on a regular basis I would consider it essential to get to the bottom of the code and get the hang of it, but as this is a one off, I hope someone would be kind enough to help me.Kind regards,Al Summers.P.S. http://hometown.aol.co.uk/smmrs429/myhomepage/photo.htmlThis link shows a picture of the tower.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Al.You can exclude very small areas:Header( 1 -51.685553011118 -51.6857028807038 -57.7787079121255 -57.7789616059697 )exclude( 1 -51.685553011118 -51.6857028807038 -57.7787079121255 -57.7789616059697 )Save these two lines as a text file, and drag'n'drop onto the SCASM icon. It removes the tower. The format is NSEW for the corners. "1" excludes visual scenery. The header must be big enough to enclose the bounds of the exclude(s).Dick

Many thanks for your reply Dick. I'm very grateful! Having followed Dick's instructions regarding the text file, I saved it as 'myfile.txt', and dragged and dropped on the Scasm icon. The resultant BGL that appeared was named 'myfile.txt.bgl'. I tried putting this in the Scenery/World/Scenery file, but unfortunately the tower remained. Do I have to rename the file? Or am I doing something else wrong?Any further comments most appreciated.Regards,Al.

Hi Al.You put the exclude in the wrong folder. the scenery in 'Scenery/World' is activated even before the the default tower is loaded into the sim... so you'd be trying to exclude it before it even existed.The best way might be to make a new folder on your harddrive named 'Excludes' or 'My project'...with a sub-folder named 'scenery'.Place the BGL into that scenery folder, and add it to the sim with the Scenery Library.Dick

Many thanks again for the help Dick. Thats worked a treat! Once again, I really appreciate your help. Thanks a bunch!Best regards,Al.

Hi Al, I have had a lot of luck with excludes using simple XML coding as in the BGLcomp SDK example of exclude. You need to look in the documentation to see it. Copy paste the example to notepad and save it as a .txt file. You can get accurate coordinates from FS by using several tools. Tcalc2400 is one ofg the best. FS must have FSUICP in the modules directory for the tools to work to when FS2004 is running. Start FS and got to top down in slew mode. Start Tcalc2400 or another tool TDFcalc2 and slew to the points around the tower. Copy-paste them into the notebook exampe from the exclude example from the SDK. save the notebook stuff as .txt in the BGLcomp directory. Drag the .txt file ove the BGLcomp.exe and hope you find a BGL. Copy the BGL to the proper scenery folder ( Addon Scenery) in FS2004. Whereever the tower BLG is in your FS folder.Remember tha that W coordinates s are negative numbers the larger is the furtest W. here is what works for me.Good luck,Larry Costa