Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Wanna order your Ground2K4 background bitmap for free?

Hi all,uploaded three more image packages to the file library; they should be available later today:G2K4-bmp_tricities.zip - Washington Tri-Cities areaG2K4-bmp_yellowstone.zip - Yellowstone N.P.G2K4-bmp_westcapehowe.zip - West Cape Howe, Western AustraliaI have three or four outstanding requests and then I'll take a break for a while; summer's here as are real-world deadlines! I will note down any new requests in the order they arrive but I won't guarantee if/when I'll actually process them.Also, congratulations to Wilfred Husted for completing his Beartooth Mountains Ground2K4 project. I highly recommend you check it out - it's a true labor of love and local knowledge!"Holger - Hi, Just a quick question... My buddy and I are preparing to start Scenery packages for Boise Idaho and Spokane Washington... Have you already created background maps that may be available for these areas..?""Bnick" (Bob?), if you're planning on releasing Spokane and Boise as payware, like your KPDX, send me an email to talk about pricing of my services ;-) As a reminder to everyone, this is from the read-me file that is part of each of my image packages: "You CANNOT issue FS scenery based on these images as payware or shareware, unless you have received my PRIOR written permission! "Cheers, Holger

Guest bnick

Holger - Hi, Don't know if I'll get under your deadline, but I just have to try...We want to Start Boise, Idaho and hope there might be a chance we could get the map for Cell 136-132NW CornerN43.5937230214754W-116.249963858699SE CornerN43.2422014302862W-115.78126464051Even if we are too late, Thanks for everything...

Guest papa.looser

Hi Holger,don't know if your offer is still actual.I'm about to start a project covering the south of the Blackforest, Germany.This will cover the area fromN47*54' E7*46' (southwest-corner)toN48*8' E8*37' (northeast-corner)This is a rather large area, but I do not plan to finish this scenery within the next few weeks, but within the next 2 (or more) years.So I will develop it step by step, beginning with a rough level of detail, covered over the whole area and I'm gonna define it more and more.I've already taken a look at ground2k4, so I'm sure I can create an interesting representation of the German Blackforest with it.If the area is to large as one part, you may split it up in appropriate squares, as you may think.Would be a great help having these bitmaps!Papa Looser

Guest ismetM

I'm interested in The Channel Islands UK..........any chance?Cheers

For someday in the future, Holger, I'd like to request a 15m grey of the area surrounding KLEB (N43.15, W72.75 X N44.15, W71.75), for roads and rivers...something smaller would suffice, if it saves you time and work, centered on the airport at N43d 37.5' W72d 18.5'Thanks tons for your contributions this community!Best,sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Guest KHannestad

Holger,Thanks for your efforts. After finaly getting the hang of Ground2K4 I am ready to dive in on project for fixing some some of the default FS9 scenery in the Fiji Islands. I want to start in the area of Taveuni Island. The coords that I am looking for are S16:00:00/E179:00:00 to S17:00:00/180:00:00. I would like greyscale 10m backgrounds.Thanks again for the service that you are providing.Karl

Hi all,Thanks for the interest; as I wrote in my last post, I'm on an "extended holiday" as far as this "service" goes.I'll save the requests in the order they are posted here and if/when I get back to processing images I'll pick up where I stopped (if those particular image sets are still required at that point).In the meantime, everyone looking for images as background bitmaps should check out the two sites that offer satellite images already in lat/long format (see details above):--> 30-m false-color image of (almost) the entire planethttp://www.earthetc.com/ecwearth/asps/ecwe...orld/landsat742 --> 10-m greyscale images of parts of the US, Europe, and Asia (select "NGA coverages", then "DOI 10m", then "Update Map")http://geoengine.nima.mil/ Cheers, Holger

Yup!I hereby place an order for the following area:NW (upper left): N58*20' E12*30'SE (lower right): N57*20' E13*30'15m gray & 30m colourRegards/Bqt

Guest flint008

Hi Holger,Can you please make a 30-m true-color composite (Bands 1, 2, 3) for Singapore. The general coordinates are: N01* 17.97' E103* 51.94'. Thank you.Kind regards,David >Hi all,>>In an ongoing effort to make myself indispensable...>>No, wait, wrong start! Try again! ;-)>>>I'm happy to see that more and more people seem to be>interested in starting their own projects with Ground2K4.>Unfortunately, many quickly get frustrated by the difficulties>of finding and setting up - in lat-long WGS84 - a suitable>background image.>>So, here's my idea and offer:>>For all my G2K4 work I've been using free Landsat satellite>imagery in various formats. There are thousands of these>images (as geocoded spectral "bands") available from all>across the world here>http://glcfapp.umiacs.umd.edu:8080/esdi/index.jsp and on other>sites. >>The resolution of 15 or 30 m is not good enough to model>inner-city road systems or airports but it's perfect for>working on larger areas that you'd like to enhance with more>accurate lakes, shorelines, rivers, highways, etc. (It's>always a good idea to have topographic maps handy for helping>with interpreting some of the tricky spots (e.g., shadows or>dense developments) in the satellite image.)>>Each Landsat image covers about 150km x 150km; while it's>possible to process the whole image most projects will need>much smaller areas, which are easier to use in G2K4 anyway.>>I have the commercial software and expertise to generate G2K4>bitmaps very quickly, usually within one hour from the time I>start searching for a suitable image. Since I'd like to see>more poeple doing G2K4 work I'd be willing to process approx.>one background image per week and upload it to the AVSIM>library, in the Scenery Design section. The processed .bmp's>are usually about 5-10MB compressed (i.e., too big for sending>as email attachments) and posting them in the library as>public domain would allow others to use them for testing,>splitting the task, or doing their very own project.>>Please let me know what you think about this idea! Anyone who>likes it and is serious (!) about starting a project please go>ahead and provide the desired corner coordinates (lat/long)>for your area as a reply to this post.>>I know that others have the means and expertise to offer the>same "service" so perhaps we can eventually share in the>effort, if there actually is a demand for it ;-)>>Each zip package will include the .bmp and a small text file>with the corner coordinates; that's all you need to load and>get going in G2K4 (or other scenery design software).>>I'll only process Landsat satellite data (sorry, Terraserver>image requests need to be handled by someone else) and can>offer the following three "products". The screenshots below>are compressed .jpg so the quality is worse than what you'll>see in Ground2K4.>>This is the 15-m panchromatic (visible light) band; good>detail but grey scale only>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63765.jpg>>>>This is the 30-m true-color composite (Bands 1, 2, 3). Obvious>advantage of real-world colors but the visible-light bands>have less inherent contrast than the infrared bands.>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63766.jpg>>>>This is a 30-m false-colour composite (Bands 5, 4, 3). More>contrast than above but strange colors, which may make>landclass work - if desired - more difficult.>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/63767.jpg>>>>Cheers, Holger>>>>>>>>>

Hi all,I started this "service" because, at that time, we didn't know of any freeware utility that would allow people without access to commercial GIS software to easily re-project satellite imagery or aerial photography (orthophotos) to the FS-native geographic lat-long/WGS84 projection.With Derek's post a few days ago everyone now has the option to download and re-project images themselves. I realize that for people on dial-up modem this will be a rather long process since the satellite images are about 30-40MB per band. I also realize that it means you have to install another piece of software and learn how to use it (in this case, not a big task). Please understand that I'd rather work on scenery projects myself and, with the availability of ERDAS ViewFinder, see no reason to spend time on something that you can do yourself. I hope that the short "tutorial" in my post will help people familiarize themselves with the process. If not, post your question in this forum and myself or others will probably know the answer. Here's the link to the thread: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=20484&page=Thanks everyone for the interest. I hope that the 25 or so image sets I uploaded will result in scenery packages being made available to us here and elsewhere.Cheers, Holger

Guest osman

Hi Holger,I have downloaded your bitmaps for the Luxor region, they are fine and I hope I can use them to correct the Nile river and some other features for the region. I would like very much to have the region joining to the South between 24