Sign in to follow this  
Guest pehje

Ground2k4 line crossing itself error

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Solved it. When creating poly with shore, in reality a polygon is created and the ends of the coastline will be connected, and if the connecting line from one end to the other crosses the line, I guess this error will occur. Solution is to create small pieces of coast in a way that closed polygons can be created without crossings.Per

Hi Per,Usually, these types of errors occur when you have overlapping LWM polygon boundaries, either of two adjacent polys or a single complex polygon that ends up crossing itself when attempting to close the two endpoints.However, it would be useful to see a screenshot of your G2K4 workscreen, perhaps with the mouse pointer at the X/Y coordinate where the error occurs. It's really difficult to do a "remote" diagnosis without as much visual (!) detail as you can provide. Cheers, Holger

>Solved it. When creating poly with shore, in reality a>polygon is created and the ends of the coastline will be>connected, and if the connecting line from one end to the>other crosses the line, I guess this error will occur.>Solution is to create small pieces of coast in a way that>closed polygons can be created without crossings.>>PerAnother way to do it is to use poly without shore and take the ends of your line far enough inland so that, when G2K closes the poly with a straight line, that line doesn't cross over any of the coastline. You will have to overlay the coastline with lines of line/lake shore (keeping land on the right to get the waves on the correct side). I find this an advantage as you can use lines with waves for beaches and lines without for rivers etc.Attached a rough map to give you some idea.

Thanks you guys for your help. Now that I know about the closing-coastline-polygons I have not had the problem again. Actually I learned that for complex coastlines it is better to create polys without shorelines to be able to create landfill and then add shores if needed afterwards. Ground2k4 is rather fun once I get a grip on it!Another question: The default coast is some 20 m above water and the slope down towards the water is covered with green forest texture. My new coast is further out in the water, and even with excludes on the original coast I still see the green forest line where the old coast was. I also elevate my new coast but the new slope down to water is made of water. How do I get that slope to become land?Per

I think your problem may be one discussed in this forum, namely that the default water uses flattens. So everything from the old coast line will appear flat, not sloping where the default water used to be. The other thing is that landclass needs to be defined out into the water areas a bit. If you put cellgrid2004a into your scenery and run fs9, you probably will see the water is showing in one or more LOD13 areas, with the side of the area acting like a coast, even though you didn't draw it.If you don't have it, run and get LWMViewer 1.2. Enter the lat/long of your scenery area and load the files. Then load worldlc.bgl and you can use use LWMViewer to get the default landclass values in the adjoining areas. Then use Ground2k4 to create an LC.bgl with those values in the areas just to seaward. (the tutorial and help files will give you insight into how the landclass is assigned to "corners" of the LOD13 area, so you need all 4 defined, not just one for the whole area.)scott s..

Thanks for advice. I tried LWMviewer, also very useful software. Amazing how much good stuff is out there once you learn what it is good for.Anyway, I tried the approach with same LC as default on my new coast/water slope, but same problem still resides. See attached image for examples. The default coast is some 20 m above water. Mixture between 114 and 35 LC, with 35 out in the water. The slope, the actual border between land and water is green bushy. When I create my new coast on -9999 level, it lays flat down in the water. Then I can see the slope for the default coast still sloping and still green bushy. Doesn