Sign in to follow this  
Guest fame

Ground2k4

Guest daveg4otu

Can anyone tell me where I can find any kind of tutorial or instructions for Ground2k4. I understand what it is supposed to be able to do-but , lacking any kind of instructions I haven't a clue how to even start.I want to use it to change the lanclass scenerey for an airfield I am making from the " town" type of stuff to basic " green fields"Any help or pointers in the right direction much appreciated.Dave

Guest Lucky

Hi DaveI believe if you download the first version than there is a full manual with it.Im not sure here, but I believe you install the first version and update it with the second and third and so on.Thats what I was directed to do.Al

Guest fame

Hi Dave:Allow me to point out a top-notch tutorial, to help develop those Ground2k skills.From our main index page, ---> Design, ---> Tutorials, ---> Miscellaneous, ---> "ground2k_for_beginners".Practice does make perfect. ;)I hope this helps in some small way, visit the URL below (see sig), for additional ideas and suggestions.Good luckTom G, Sr.

Guest daveg4otu

Thankyou both for the help - I now have the" ground2k_for_beginners" this makes most things clear.However, I do have one question that someone will hopefully be able to answer .............As my first experiment with G2k4 I'm making a test airfieldI have made the airfield ( runways, macros etc) using FSSC .This portion has already been added to the scenery library and tested and works OK but of course the default landclass files show through , so I have town- type textures in the middle of the field.So-I'm using G2k4 to change the landclass files underlying the new airfield.It says in the G2k4 tutorial that you must not place the bgls with any associated texture folders. So do I have to essentially have two addon scenery areas?- IE: one for the Landclass bgls made with G2k4 and one for the actual airfield made with FSSC, both added seperately to the library?What I have made is two folders- the first is TestfieldLC containg /scenery/ (the G2K4 bgls).the second is Testairfield containing /scenery/(bgls) and /Texture/ (macro textures etc).THis seems to work - I now have an area clear of town textures with a nice grassy texture and the airfield overlying it---- but --------is this the correct way of doing it?Dave

Hi Dave.Yes, that's the way we generally do it. I think you could add your FSSC textures to the sim's main "Texture" folder, and then you wouldn't need any other "texture" folder... that would allow you to have just one "Testairfield" Project folder containing the "scenery" sub-folder, containing all the BGLs... with no "texture" sub-folder at all. Worth a try if you don't want to have 2 separate project folders.Dick

Hi Dave,the alternative for changing the underlying landclass is a VTP2 textured polygon that covers the "cleared" area around your airfield. Doing this eliminates the need for separating scenery and landclass bgl files.Or, if you want to stick with the landclass option, you can ask your users to move the landclass file into FS9scenerybasescenery, where the default world landclass file resides. This option has similar pros and cons as the textures-in-FS9texture option described by Rhumba.Decisions, decisions...Cheers, Holger

Guest daveg4otu

Thankyou both for the advice- it seems I've several choices.For the moment I'll stick with the way it is - if only because it gives me more control of the addon texture files whilst I am experimenting. However , I can see that , for scenery that is released to the comminuity at large a simpler installation would be best.Thanks againDave

Hello Tom,Thanks for kindly pointing out the guide. Last time I looked (admittedly, about a year ago), you have the old version of the guide on your web site. It was redone and placed in the AvSim library, if you wish to have the new guide. Although it is, of course, already a year old.Best regards.Luis

Guest fame

Hi Luis:Thanks for the "Heads-up" on a later version of the tutorial. I'll update ASAP.All The BestTom G, Sr.