Sign in to follow this  
Guest daveg4otu

Using Gerrish Grays trees with FSSC/FS9

Hopefully someone can tell me how to use Gerrish Gray's trees with FSSC .I've made some sceneries but used single trees by other authors so far- but in my latest project I really want lots of trees and GG's trees seem to be the obvious way to do it. I already have the trees V3 installed(FS9/textures) as well as the bgl(FS9/scenery) - for use with downloaded scenery.However if I try to place his tree APIs in my new project using FSSC nothing shows up in the exported scenery in FS9 tho the icon for each tree is present in the FSSC view. I understood that the API uses the tree textures as Libobjs so why am I seeing nothing? Should I be placing copies of the relevant tree textures in the addon scenery/Airfield X/texture folder?(Airfield X being the new project)Reading thru GG's extensive instructions there is mention of SCASM code and SCASM 2.39 - about which I freely admit to knowing nothing whatsoever- but is this relevant to my problem?MTIADave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Are you sure you have entered the correct user parameters? You need to use those as explained in the documentation to get the correct tree type etc. Other then that I can't think of any reason why it should not work correct in FSSC.

Thanks for the reply Arno - as far as I can tell I've done everything correctly but it's still not working properly.This is what I have tried.......Removed all old copies of the trees bgl and placed the new one in C:/Program Files/FS9/scenery.Reinstalled all the GG textures in FS9/textures( did this twice in case there had been some kind of problem first time.Read Instructions and unzipped the APIs to my D:/scenery designing/GG Trees folderThenOpen my new " airfieldx" in FSSC- added trees, used both default parameters and customized parameters. Exported the scenery to my addon folder which is D:/ FS Scenery- added the scenery to FS9 scenery Library and what do I see --- No Trees! I tried placing the "airfieldx" into the FS9/addon scenery folder and activating it there but no different unless I placed a copy of the trees bgl in the airfieldx/scenery folder. Then I could see the trees but it caused FS9 to crash to a black screen in a few seconds so obviously not a good idea.So running out of ideas here- I'm sure it's something I'm not doing correctly but what is it? still trying.................Dave

Hi, Dave. Try putting the Trees_0.bgl in ...FS9sceneryworldscenery directory. If I am not mistaken, this is where it should go.

Dave,try what Naji has said. Also YOu can try putting the trees_0.bgl in your scenery folder and trees textures in texture folder.In FSSC, try this. Put some working API, let's say one antenna (just for test!) and macro let's say TrSt7_1.api. Then open properties tab of this macro and fill up these values:param %6 (Hemisphere) 0 -> 0 if Your scener is on northern hemisphere, otherwise 1param %7 (season band) 2param %8 (tree id) 00300 -> take a look into Trees_0.txtparam %9 (tree scale) 1 Then compile, check if the scenery is in use by FS and test it. You should see 10m high generic conifer. Hope it will work now!Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice - yes it seems to work OK by putting the bgl in Scenery/world/scenery although this is at odds with the actual readme/manual instructions which just state FS200x/scenery. Is this perhaps only relevant to 2000/2002?Goran - yes - I've no problem editing the trees parameters - it was just getting them to appear at all that was the hassle.The only problem still remaining is that one or two of the multiple stands of trees seem to cause a screen freeze if I use them but I hope I'll be able to work around that .Dave

I'm pleased to be able to report all is working now- I Emailed Gerrish and he kindly replied with the exact correct location for the trees_o.bgl file which , for the benefit of all, is(assuming you have FS on Drive C...........C:/program files/ MS games/FS9/scenery/BASE/scenery.Thanks everyoneDave