Sign in to follow this  
Naji

Gmax Question

Guest pks1414

Back again, I am building a small fuel pump for my airfield in Gmax. Most of it I have worked out, however I have not got a clue as to the best way to build the fuel line or one of the pipes and make it 'bend'.Thats my question, how do you make something bound and retain its shape.Thanks for the helpcheersPaul

Many ways to do anything in gmax...one way I've done it is to make a short cylinder and give it the dia you want. Conver to edit poly (edit mesh would also work), polygon subobject, select the end polygon and extrude it to make the next segment. then vertex subobject and position the end of your new segment where you want it, and then take the vertices between sections and rotate them to make the diameter close to constant. Repeat as long as you wish.B

Guest pks1414

Thanks Bob....but eekMany many thanks for that, It is what I wanted to know, however is there any way that you can post some pictures from Gmax to show how you do this. I had a go but being the doombrain that I am:+ I got into a right ole two an eight with it (that the effect of having two teenage daughters you know..scientific fact)I really appreciate your help on this as this is the one thing that I have never been able to figure out.Cheers

Guest Firestriker

Why not just use a Line object. Only takes a couple of minutes and bang, your done. No extruding, no lofting, no messing with verts. Just draw the shape you want and make a couple of adjustments to the mesh settings. When you have it looking the way you want it, convert it to an editable mesh.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/91058.gifLou

Doncha love it....Lou I agree completely...a line object or even lofting a circle along a line are both better methods....I find it amusing how sometimes I overlook the most simple way. Bob B

Guest pks1414

Back again I have just nearly completed a fuel station from my airfield. To finish it off I had to create the actual fuel line. When I initially started this I created the other fuel line (light blue) by simple drawing a line and making it mesh. Effectively I could draw up down across etc.Bow I have come to finish off this part, when I use the line tool it only creates it on the one plane, effectively it lies flat on the floor, I can't get it to draw upwards. I have obviously changed a setting somewhere...Anyone put me out of my misery please

Just rotate it and move it to the place you want. Or you could do it in the Front viewport, then it would be made in the 'upward' direction that you want.Another way would be to create a Grid object in any place and any orientation you want; if you make it active, then whatever shapes you draw will be on it.Hope this helps. And by the way, your pump looks pretty good.