Sign in to follow this  

Lake won't appear

Hello Everyone,I am using topographic maps downloaded from Terraserver using USAPhotoMaps to modify the default scenery with Ground2K4. I began the project using a satellite image but was convinced that topo maps are much more useful. After deciding to use the topo maps, I deleted the LWM, BAK and BGL files made using the satellite images. I then drew Sylvan Lake along the road into Yellowstone National Park from Cody, Wyoming. However, the lake did not appear in Flight Simulator. I redrew the lake and deleted the BGL files and recompiled but can't get the lake to appear. A smaller lake a mile or two to the east appears just fine. Sylvan Lake and the smaller lake appear in TMFViewer. The new scenery connects (roads, streams, etc.) with my Yellowstone National Park scenery that was made using a satellite image. However, Sylvan Lake is a couple of miles beyond the Yellowstone scenery border.Would someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing so I can finish this project? Your help will be greatly appreciated.Wil

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Wil,if a lake doesn't show up there can really only be two things wrong:1. The lake itself isn't properly defined, e.g., as LWM land instead of LWM water.2. There's a LWM land polygon or low-layer (0-3) VTP2 polygon covering the lake area that sits on a higher priority level than your add-on scenery, thus turning the water back into land.If neither of these seem to be the case, perhaps attach a LWMViewer screenshot and/or the compiled bgl of your lake.Good luck!Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,Well, the the LWM was water and I couldn't find a VTP2 polygon for the life of me. I have no photoreal scenery installed anywhere either.I got tired of messing around with it and deleted everything I'd drawn on a North Fork 4 segment of the map. I hadn't done that much and will try again with a clean slate. I just got tired of fooling with the blasted lake recalling the Lewis Lake problem of Yellowstone fame.I don't know how I get into these fixes but they surely do vex a person.I'm still convinced that Ground2K4 has a way of retaining "ghosts" but can't prove it. Ignorance ain't necessarily bliss!Thanks for your suggestions and help.Wil

Hello Holger,Well, after deleting all the previous stuff and starting all over again, Sylvan Lake still does not appear after redrawing the lake as a LWM poly-water. In my naivete I assume that the problem lies with the default scenery since I hadn't done anything in the area previously.Might there be a problem with scenery drawn using satellite images (Yellowstone National Park) being adjacent to scenery drawn using topo maps? I'm having the same problem down at the southeastern side of Yellowstone Lake drawn using the satellite image and connecting this scenery with the river upstream from the lake using topo maps. A segment of the river won't appear.Whatever, how do I fix the situation? I can't find a way to assign a layer to a LWM poly or find the culprit that's causing the problem in the first place. I'm lost in layers, VTPs 'n stuff. In short, TARFU!Wil

Hi,As Holger suggested, try to see the lake in LWMViewer before trying to see it in the sim! In 90% of the cases, you will discover any error just by looking at the LWMViewer display.Regards, Luis

Hello Luis,I did see the lake in LWMViewer but it doesn't appear in FS. The attached screenshot shows Sylvan Lake. It's the elongate lake in the center of the snapshot.If there is any error visible, I don't recognize it. The landclass says "255(Invalid)". This appears all over the screen when moving the mouse so I assume that this is not a problem since my other lakes appear in LWMViewer.I tried adding the 000 water landclass to the affected areas and then adding a land texture. No affect whatever. I'm stumped and don't know what to do to get the flamin' lake to appear.Wil

Hi Wil,well, the only thing I can tell from the screenshot is that the lake seems to be in a different LOD8 cell than the other lakes. Since the lake itself seems to be okay there must be something in the LOD8 cell that sits higher up in the priority settings and turns water into land.Any other scenery installed for that area? Try deactivating anything in your Scenery Library that is near your area, including your own add-ons! (I always place new projects in a temp scenery folder so that I can disable previous work of mine, if needed).Does your lake have an elevation? If yes, can you spot the flattened area?Perhaps zip up the bgl file and attach it here but I suspect that the problem is not with the lake file but some 3rd-party add-on or other file of yours.Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,OK, I'll check my scenery and see if there is any other addons that may be causing the problem. The lake does have an elevation but there is no flat area in FS that I can see. The zipped BGL is attached.My Yellowstone scenery is immediately to the west and the Beartooth Lakes scenery is not too far to the north. I have a little project just to the northeast that connects the Yellowstone-Cody scenery, of which Sylvan Lake is a part, to the Beartooth Lakes in the Clark's Fork vicinity.I'm going to treat this project to a little period of benign neglect before tackling the problem again. I'm a bit discouraged with it.Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations.Wilhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/93752.zip

Hi Wil,I went to the area and saw no lake. Then I downloaded your BGL and put it an active scenery folder. Your lake appeared fine.I have absolutely no addon in that area. I think you are in the presence of a conflict (may be a forgotten BGL dropped down some folder ... ?)Regards, Luis

Hi Luis,That's gotta be the problem but it may take some time to find it. I've got a lot of stuff in the immediate area and will have to do a systematic check.It's lunch with the old boys at noon so this'll have to wait a bit until later this afternoon.Thanks for checking the BGL. At least it's all right.Wil

Hello All,The culprit is my "Yellowstone NP_3.bgl" file. When this is disabled, Sylvan Lake appears. Sylvan Lake is a short distance east of the edge of the satellite image used to draw Yellowstone Lake and other LWM polys. Sylvan Lake is drawn on a topo map. However, both Yellowstone and Sylvan Lakes are in the same cell, 148 x 129 (*918160.bgl). I now know what the problem is but I don't know how to correct it. I don't want to eliminate my Yellowstone lakes and river modifications. Can the "Yellowstone NP_3.bgl" file be edited to eliminate the problem. If so, how in thunder is this done?Wil

Howdy Everyone,I know, look it up in my Funk and Wagnalls. I'll now do some searching and researching for the solution to my problem. Old dogs and new tricks don't work too well at times. It's not the trick's fault.Wil

Hi.It could be just a case of priority. Are the BGLs in the same folder? If so, try renaming them to A_YellowstoneNP_3.bgl and Z_MyNewLake.bgl .If they're not in the same folder, make sure your BGL is in a scenery layer higher (i.e. lower number) than the Yellowstone one.If *that* doesn't work, use LWMViewer (http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim) to disassemble the Yellowstone BGL. Search in the source file for the cell definition starting with LWMCellID. If it's of type "_Land_", try changing it to "_Transparent_". Recompile with BGLC. If this works, it will make it work with your particular setup but remember that it won't work on anyone else's!Cheers,Jim Keir

Howdy Jim,The files are in the same folder along with a bunch of other Wyoming scenery modifications. I'll try each of your suggestions and hopefully one of them will set things right.This stuff baffles me and I really appreciate your help.Wil

Hello Jim,Prefacing the two files with A and Z did the trick.I'd like to check the Yellowstone.BGL just for the practice. How do you disassemble the file in LWMViewer? I can't seem to find a button to click on to do it. I'm missing something but can't find it.Wil

Hi Wil,remember my VTP2/LWM draft tutorial? ;-) It's the Export > Source function.Cheers, Holger

Hi..> Prefacing the two files with A and Z did the trick.:-yellow1 Yay!FS loads files according to priority in the scenery database first, then alphabetically within each folder. Yellowstone, being near the end, would have overridden anything loaded earlier. Normally this isn't a problem but my guess is that the cell is defined as explicit land instead of transparent, thereby zapping other lakes in the area. Probably done deliberately to mask out default lakes, but unfortunately yours went too.If you release your lake BGL with starting with something alphabetically after Y (like Z, for example :) ) it should work for most people even if they have Yellowstone installed.Glad it's solved :)Cheers,Jim

Hi Holger,Now that you mention it, yes. However, I'm having trouble remembering my name anymore.Thanks for the reminder.Bill, er, Wil

Howdy Jim,Thanks for the further explanation of what's going on. Sylvan Lake sits at the very edge of the cell so the small ponds just to the east appear.I thought that there would be a similar problem where the upper Yellowstone River enters the lake but I drew the river a ways on to the south yesterday and it connects with what I had drawn on the satellite image and appears along with some delta sloughs and ponds. What a relief!I need to take some time off and read Holger's tutorial again amongst texts.Thanks again for your help and guidance.Wil