Sign in to follow this  
JMEppright

GMAX/Makemdl streamlining?

Gentlemen,I'm new to GMAX but am having some success with scenery creation for FS2004. Is there a way to avoid having to delete the comment lines and reenter the lat longs everytime you recompile. It seems cumbersome to do that if you are going back and forth on a particular project.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

as long as you don't alter the folder locations for your mdl file and your xml file, you never need to deal with the xml file more than once. From the second compile and on, the xml file is not overwritten, only the mdl file is changed.So, you recompile from gmax, then you recomple your xml file with bglcomp.That's it.Bob

Bob,If what I am hearing is right, when I re-export from GMAX a new MDL file is created with the same GUID as before. The previous XML file refers to the MDL file when you drag it to BGLComp. I don't need a current date XML file to get current update. I already knew that the GUID was name and directory dependent.Thanks for your help.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Small technical detail :), but when you export only the MDL file is recreated. The MDL file is not linked to any GUID at that moment.It is the XML file that links the MDL to the GUID and then also places it. When MakeMDL finds the XML file is already there it will indeed not be overwritten, so recompiling the old XML file will include your new MDL object to the same old GUID.Hope this clarifies it a bit :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks, through my ongoing efforts plus Bob's comments, it is all making sense as you say. In the past, I had noticed that the XML file date did not change when I re-exported so I was deleting the mdl and xml files so that both would be recreated. That was a pain so this forum and you guys have brought clarity and sense. Effective document writers are underpaid at any level!

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)