Sign in to follow this  
arno

Custom runway and taxiway textures

Guest Tommeke84

Hello I'm working on a Gmax version of Brussels Airport, Belgium. All the 3D objects are (or will be) made with Gmax. But now I'm looking for a good way to make runways, taxiways and approns with custom textures. So if you would use AFCAD or SceneGenX, you can only use the standard flight sim textures. But I want to import custom textures and custom ground markings. I could do it in Gmax, with the zbias_ prefix for the material names. But I'm having troubles to create smooth taxiway lines. Another problem are the edge-lights. In Gmax you would have to place every single light, which is a huge job on a large airport.Furthermore on a particular taxiway, I want to apply custom ground markings like one that says: "MAX SPAN 35M". Are there any other possibilities to make these things with custom textures?Thomashttp://users.pandora.be/thomasbogaert/ebbr/

Hi Thomas,Making completely custom runways and aprons in not that easy. Maybe because there is not a tool that really allows it.First, as you already wrote, the Fs2004 XML ground scenery format does not allow custom textures at all. So that means that the only alternative would then be to use GMax and make it as a MDL object. This is also not perfect, as you get trouble with shadows, etc.I think the best altenative is to use Fs2002 tools, like FSSC. These give you more option for taximarkings for example.For the Schiphol scenery I have been working on I made the ground in a similar way. I had AutoCAD drawings of the airport and I wrote my own converter to transform these into scenery. This also allowed me to convert text writen on the taxiways into the scenery easily, as it was all in my drawing.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Thomas,I would suggest you make all groundwork in Airport, Architect or a similar scasm based program.It is then easy to draw different (ground)polygons representing the taxiway/aprons and if you so choose everyone can be individually textured.As for own runway textures, this is a very difficult task even though e.g. Architect supports them.You will most likely get unwanted flickers so best choise is probably to stick with the default textures.Own runway/taxiway markings can however be made in FSDS or similar 3D program and put on top of the runway. Be sure to use by the scasm z-bias instruction or you will get flickers.For taxiway edge lights use the "api-line" function available at least in Architect, this can put out an scasm api "line" with the needed lights spaced at intervals of your choice.G-max might be nice for buildings, but vs. scasm it lacks versatility when it comes to airport ground sceney (FSDS generated api:s)Good luck,Bjorn

Guest Hans Palsson

>...Another problem are the edge-lights. In Gmax>you would have to place every single light, which is a huge>job on a large airport.Hi there!To avoid unnecessary work regarding this, in Gmax use the Spacing-tool together with a single object and a line (Shapes/Splines). Draw a line where you want to evenly disperse the object, then select your object and press SHIFT + I. Via this tool you place your objects very fast, and when you are done you can still change placing of individual objects. A good way for placing fences and similar things./hans

Guest Tommeke84

Thanks for the answers. I'll try the different options, and I'll choose the method that suits me best.Thomas

>Own runway/taxiway markings can however be made in FSDS or>similar 3D program and put on top of the runway. Be sure to>use by the scasm z-bias instruction or you will get flickers.It is better to replace the PerspectiveCall command by a LayerCall command. That makes sure they really act like ground polygons.See this article for more information:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60>G-max might be nice for buildings, but vs. scasm it lacks>versatility when it comes to airport ground sceney (FSDS>generated api:s)That is true, because GMax is only meant to make 3D objects. MakeMDL was never intended to produce ground scenery.It is not true either to say that SCASM is better. SCASM is just a language to make scenery. When looking at the structure of the default scenery it is clear that SCASM is not the best choice for the ground scenery, as the XML scenery is the future there.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog