Sign in to follow this  
Daviddv

Ground2k Help needed

I am trying to use this for the first time to model better a small island. I have been following the excellent Ground2k for Beginners, but I have a very basic problem that I can't get round.I have got to the point of inserting a road, but made a mistake with one of the points positioned a long way from where it should be. I can't find any way of editing this road by moving this point to the correct position. There doesn't seem to be any undo, move or delete function that I can find.Also in a similar vein, I misunderstood the road definitions and made the road a dual carriageway, instead of one lane in each direction.Can one select the road and edit its parameters?I hope I won't have to ask too many basic questions like this.Thanks for any help that can be given.David

Hello David,These are very good questions and are not covered in the Beginner's Guide.You can easily change any of the points or parameters of a line.First, select the line. To do this, click on the "S" icon and double click on the line. It is much easier to select a line by double-clicking at one of its ends if there are other lines close by.Next, if you want to move one of the points, just select it. To do that, choose the Select Point icon - it looks like a small "s" with a line going through it, I think. Then, double-click on the point that you want to move. Click on it again and move it where you want, and click to place it at the new location.To change the parameters of a line, select it as in the first step above. Then, RIGHT-click; this brings up the parameter window where you can make any modifications.Good luck on your project.Best regards.Luis

Hi LuisThanks for your help - very easy!I'll add it to my personal collection of tips.David

A bit more help please.I think I've got the hang of roads etc, but cant't get the land to show up. I click on 'N' and the Attributes Page appears. I assume to create an island I need to use 'Poly with Shore', but then I am unclear whether to use LWM or VTP. The guide seems to suggest LWM.I have kept the elevation as -9999. and filled in all the small cells with a LC of 130 - Rock., but only the outline appears in FS.I guess I've missed something simple!David

Hello David,Where is your island located, in the ocean, in a lake or river, or???Wil

Hi WilI first of all tried to modify an existing island, but had a a few problems, so decided to get back to basics and create a simple temporary island in the ocean, so that I could understand the workings of Ground2k better.David

Howdy David,I've been using Ground2K4 to make islands in lakes and rivers, both as LWM and VTP polys. Holger Sandmann taught me how to make islands including them in lake and stream LWM polys. This method "saves" or includes any topography present on islands when using satellite images or topographic maps to draw scenery. I haven't tried it but assume that you can then add roads, etc. to the islands. I'd be happy to send you the directions for drawing the islands.I've drawn islands as VTP polys over LWM stream segments, usually as sand and gravel bars in the streams. I'm trying to find suitable default textures for bars in different situations. These efforts are rudimentary and the more experienced folks will have more information.Anyway, good luck with your islands.Wil

Thanks Wil and LuisI looked at the thread that Luis referred to a few days ago, but have decided to print it out and study it more closely as it seems very relavent to my problem.I'm determined to get this sorted out.RegardsDavid

I have, I think, followed all the steps outlined, but I still get a water-filled island!When I generate the bgls, I get:Test_3.bglTest_9.bgland a couple of .asm files.I copy the bgl files to my scenery folder, but as I said I can see the outline of the island in FS, but no land.I tried extending the LC 'fills' to well outside the island (the inside is of course totally filled) but no difference. The procedure seems so simple, so I must be missing something pretty obvious - but it isn't to me.Getting desperate!RegardsDavid

Hi David,you mention the LWM (_3) and VTP (_9) file but not the landclass file itself. It'll be a bgl named LC_* and should be generated inside your G2K4 base directory. It needs to be placed in the same folder as your other bgl files.Cheers, Holger

Hello HolgerThere is a LC file generated but it is not a bgl, but a .raw.I haven't done anything with this, as I assume it is used internally by Ground2K.Thanks for your help.David

Hi David,does your Ground2K4 directory contain spaces in the folder names, such as "C:my sceneryGround2K4"? If so, G2K4 often doesn't compile the .raw into a bgl. There is a work-around but it involves creating your own .inf file or using the EZ-Landclass utility so it's probably easier to place G2K4 in a directory without spaces. For example, mine is "F:Ground2K4". Hope that helps.Cheers, Holger

Hi HolgerYes that was it!I remember reading something about spaces in path names early on, but I hadn't realised how important it was.I moved my Ground2k directory up under the root, did a search in the registry for all occurances of Ground2k which I then modified, changed the .inf file in the temp directory, and finally edited with notepad the .lwm files to change the paths there.Then suddenly.... LAND.Thanks a lot for your help (and others too of course).Best regardsDavid

I'm afraid I have a further question....Around one side of my island the Landclass fill borders along the coast perfectly, but the other side not so. I attach a couple of images to show what I mean.When I created the coast I was careful to go round clockwise, and extend the LC fills beyond the coast as seem to be advised.I guess there is another very simple explanation for this too.RegardsDavid