Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Help from the experts requested

I hope this is not too daft a question: am hoping someone can advise. I recently downloaded scenery for Morocco (by Toni Agramont), which fills the country with mosques, tourist hotels, soukhs and so on - very nice it is too (maroc_sc.zip).The only problem is that it also seems to populate all the Moroccan airports with ghostly, textureless static AI aircraft, which I would very much like to get rid of. But how? The author just suggests turning the scenery complexity right down, but that spoils so much else. There are no separate bgl files for the AI aircraft, and I am not sure how to make an exclusion file for aircraft (though I have managed to make bgl files for landclass in the past). Ordinary exclusion lines in the scenery.cfg file don't work....Help, or pointers to tutorials, or whatever else might be relevant, welcome.Many thanks,Martin

Hi Martin,Are you sure they are AI traffic? In that case they should have an own BGL file. It could also be that they are static aircraft, placed just like the other scenery objects.Do you really want to remove them, or are you also happy when you find the missing textures? That sounds like the first thing I would try to do.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi. Thanks for replying. Yes, they are static aircraft - they are there at the same gates no matter the season or time of day. I am quite happy to leave them, but only if I can get their textures filled in; otherwise, I'd want to remove them - they look very odd as they are of course. I tried an exclusion line in the relevant part of the scenery file (which line I am pretty sure is correct, parameter-wise) but it changes nothing - ghosdt planes still there. (I have Ultimate Traffic installed, so have dynamic traffic at some of these airports anyway).I have no idea how to paint these aircraft though, as they are clearly part of a bgl file which includes, not just the aircraft, but also all the airport buildings and so on: if I remove the various airport bgl files, all the airport scenery disappears along with the static aircraft. Assistance much appreciated.Martin

If you want to remove them you only have the two options you mentioned before.Either they are in a separate BGL file and you can remove that file. Or you need to make excludes around all the aircraft (and keep the excludes small enough to only remove the aircraft and not the rest of the scenery).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Arno, The exclusion line has no effect at all. Checked my syntax etc. and pretty sure it's OK (written quite a few in the past). Also used ExcBuilderV to make the same file - doesn't work either (fs9 recompiles the scenery.cfg file at start-up, so it is reading it).I am trying to use various decompilers/recompilers, but I think the hours of work it will involve will not make it worth my while. Better just set scenery detail to normal when flying in Morocco, which excludes the static aircraft - pity.Thanks,M

Guest phpdk

Hi Martin,Great utility, this 3D remover, for "old style" bgl's - that is when you have established something about the objects you want to remove (object no. or texture name).I have also in vain tried to make exclusion for the scenery. I suppose the problems arise from the reference point not being where you expect it to be. And I also decided that it was too time consuming to decompile/edit/recompile all the "airp.." files one by one.Thx for the tip.Peter

I think I spoke slightly too soon, because the programme is coming up with a high proportion of error messages, presumably due to problems in the original files, and then creates 'rogue' .bgl files, which, if installed, cause FS9 to crash at start-up.I use BGLAnalyze or NewBGLAnalyze to edit these problem files manually, deleting the paragraphs relating to the objects I don't want. But there again, if I decompile a .bgl file to an .sca file and then immediately try to recompile it with SCASM (haven't touched a thing in the file itself so it should be OK), I often get errors reported in the cmd window, such as below, and cannot recompile the file. Presumably the original file has problems. Don't know if anyone with more knowledge of all this can comment?Error in line XXXX - > EndA - > - > Linebuffer (20478) overflow, line XXX/XXX truncated! - > Fatal error, code 32767 and so forth. I don't know enough to be able to correct things...So not a perfect solution, but the two programmes have helped correct at least some of my files.Martin