Sign in to follow this  
arno

Photoreal texture resolution increase in FSX

Hi Dick,Some good points. Although Jason on his blog mentioned increasing from 256 to 512 to 1024, it might indeed be a bit to quick to conclude that the underlaying techniques remain the same as the current ones.I guess we have to wait till the new FsX is there before we can really say how we can use the higher resolutions.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno.If Jason expects 1 meter/pixel textures to ship, I think we'll see it. :)I expect nearly all of our tools will need modification. I'm hoping the design team breaks a few "rules" and pushes FSX into some new areas of scenery design. The community is in much better shape to move forward than it was at the start of FS2002. Most designers are quite sophisticated in their understanding of converting GIS data to terrain in the sim. Gmax users have a good grasp of the nature of that tool... and concerning scenery objects we've seen a lot of progress with new concepts of attaching effects, platforms, etc... I'm ready for some new things!I'm also hoping to see a better system of dynamic movement ( and animation ) for objects. I hope the old Dynamic Scenery will be gone, and replaced with something a bit more flexible. And we need something nicer than tick18 for objects. The more the team can include, the better!And to Jason... many thanks for the info you can give us.Dick

Hi Dick,Yes, I agree with you. Although it will hurt a few people that are still using the old Fs98/Fs2000 tools and macros, I really hope that they will clean up (and remove) some of those older commands. This would make things a lot easier for us in the end. Now there are just too many tools we can use. Almost any tool designed since Fs5 still works. That makes it very confusing for scenery designers, especially as not all tools work together that well.And of course I am also very happy with all the information Jason is already able to give us. It is really great to have a more direct link with the designers of FS.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog