Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

A question for scenery guru's about airports and FSX

Hello Jim,As Mike Gilbert told you, what you want is certainly possible. The question is really the effort involved, when there is really so much to do for the next version.You have made scenery, so you know that these generic buildings are sometimes part of a library of specially-built objects, and sometimes they are simply... generic buildings! If you take a look at the library objects, you will see the incredible (!) number of them. It is an overwhelming amount of work, and yet the FS Team has not even begun to touch the quantity of airports in the world. And they never will. There are just too many.I understand that what you suggest is not custom buildings that look like the exact thing, but rather more realistic buildings than what you are seeing. As it happens, I am making a hobby of studying the different types of hangars and airport buildings, and while the models that you suggest are common enough in the U.S., I would say that there is a lot more variety, as you undoubtedly know. And while a hangar as you propose is easy to find elsewhere in the world, the variety is even greater there, so that those models would not be representative as a whole for most of the world.However, Mike is a reasonable person, always anxious to please, and he pretty much indicated to you that there would be great improvements, so if I were you, I would be prepared to be pleasantly suprised.In the end, though, there will always be plenty of work for us, and you will probably find that TXKF in the next version will not be anywhere near as representative of the real thing compared to what you have already done, in spite of any future improvements in buildings.In any case, no matter what anyone here may think on this matter, this is really something on which only the FS Team can make a decision.Not that I disagree with you, Jim, as to the shape of the buildings, although I am always astonished that the FS Team should know as much as they do and create airports that come close to the real thing.Here is the default version of my local airport:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142749.jpgNow, they can get the layout from the Jepp charts, but how in the world did they know that the hangars are on that side, and that they are approximately like that? These guys have obviously been doing research!As it happens, there are well over 15 different types of hangars here, sloped roof, corrugated, concrete, t-hangars, military, etc. So, I redid the whole thing, and while I made some of my own textures, I mostly used the default generic textures, that are pretty nice overall.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142750.jpgWhat it comes down to is that it is pretty easy to replace the default, although it must be done airport by airport. And with the recent mix of object placement tools, it has never been easier to replace default objects.And if, by some fluke, everything was much better in the next version, what would we have to keep us busy? We would not have a lot to do, and would have to go flying! Perish the thought.Best regards.Luis

You make some good points Luiz, and I actually enjoy doing the enhancements. I just think it would be nice to get at least some generic stuff that is at least a tiny bit better than the old square box. By the way, I have done many sceneries, some fairly complicated. I t don't upload them due to everyone having different mesh, landclass, textures, and so on. The support gets tediuos at times. Nice job on your airport there, what a great improvement!Hornit