Sign in to follow this  
scruffyduck

Problem with xml excludes in FS9

I have been trying to generate xml excludes as a new function for my LOM/Scenery Maker utlitiy. I get clean XML which compiles fine and creates the expected bgl file. However the code does remove anything. I guess I have missed something important. I am sure I had it working at one point but I must have been dreaming Here is an example of the xml I am generating which compiles but fails to affect the scenery. Any suggestions much appreciated

OK I have just carried out an experiment which leaves me confused. I took an area rich in autogen buildings and trees and created an exclude around them. I tried to exclude them using all objects and they went. I tried to exclude them by checking all the individual choices and they went. But when I tried to use excludeGenericBuilldings they stayed put and I could not get rid i=of them until I had everything checked again. I guess this may be a well known situation but............

Hi Jon,I think the excludeGenericBuildings option only removed GenericBuildings (as the name says). Autogen are generic buildings, but not GenericBuildings :). I think this option only removes the buidlings that have been placed with the XML GenericBuildings command.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I have seen the same problem so I always use =ALL. However in some cases that will not remove all the buildings which is simular to certain type taxiway signs in the way they are designed and used. In other cases MSN uses both old style and new xml design style scenery on the same airport property.Someone else may have a better answer but the term generic building can be misleading based on how MSN applies it into the scenery.Some buildings appear to be old style and some xml style. I have also found that some xml generic buildings will also be part of a specific region type airport scenery rather then a generic xml building that can be placed all over the world.I am not a scenery guru like some of the guys here so they may have a better answer. I do know what works for me.Edit -------see Arno's post above, he posted while I was typing

Thanks Arno, JimWell I guess that makes sense Arno in a perverse sort of way. So it does seem that there is no switch to handle autogen as such other than excludeAllObjects. What I found curious was that setting all the avialable switches to exclude would work the same as excludeAll even though some of the objects (trees and autogen buildings) are not covered by any item on the list.Jim - roll on the day when everything can be done with xml :-)