Sign in to follow this  
arno

FSSC background bitmap

I was experimenting with FSSC because I really liked the background bitmap functionality especially the ability to view the bitmap in FS. Makes it easy for photoreal scenery.However, I have discovered a problem. When setting up tiles in 1024x1024 or 512x512 and joining them together to make a large photoreal airport background the FSSC interface appears to be perfect with the tiles lining up perfectly. However, when viewed in FS the generated tile appears to cut off a small slice from the right side of the bitmap. This unfortunately means the bitmaps cannot be lined up properly.Anyone have a solution to this?ThanksShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi Shez,I won't know a way to do this easily in FSSC, as it is quite hard to control the mapping exactly.Would it not be easier to generate a grid for your tiles in GMax or SCASM code? That way you can control the mapping much more accurate.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks for replying Arno. I always use SCASM but it is a tedious and long process and I guess I could go back to it. Do you have an easy solution to generating a grid in SCASM?As regards GMAX, this will not allow me to place polygons/runways etc. on top via AFW, etc.RegardsShez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Hi Shez,If you know the resolution and position of the images you are trying to place, it should not be that hard to place them into FS. So then it should not be a very long process. But if it gets to trial-and-error I am afraid it can take rather long indeed.About GMax, are you using the Fs2002 gamepack and tweaking the output to become real ground polygons? Else you will not get the desired result indeed.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Hi Arno,Yes I am using the FS2002 GMAX but remember SCASM runways and taxiways cannot be placed on top.Shez

Shez Ansari

They can, it is just a matter of using the correct layer numbers. Runways are placed by default at layer 24 if I remember correctly, so you will have to use a lower layer for your GMax and SCASM polygons.

Arno

Arno,As far I as I recall GMAX polygons are not the same as SCASM polygons and do not appear to have a layering (checking in AFW). How are they layered?Shez

Shez Ansari

Hi Shez,That's why you have to use the Fs2002 gamepack. To make proper ground polygons you need to apply a little tweak to the ASM source, by adding the ADDCAT command. In there you can also determine the layer of the ground polygons. This tweak only works with Fs2002 ASM files.If you do not apply the tweak, they will indeed be drawn as 3D object and thus after the ground polygons and runways. I guess that is what you are seeing. But not applying the tweak also means that shadows are not casted correctly and that you can have flickering trouble.

Arno

Hi Arno,OK I did not realise that there was a layering command there. Let me have a look.Thanks for the great help as usual.Shez

Shez Ansari

Thanks Arno, it works! I tried this tutorial a few years back and I could not get it to work and the GMAX poly continued to sit on top. That is why I went back to the tedious SCASM hand coding :-mad This time around I spent time on why it was not working while you were telling me it did.The issue was not the ADDCAT asm adjustment but the api being generated by FSRegen which was not adjusted for ground polygons with the appropriate LayerCall command (as per your tutorial at the website).Thanks, this will speed up project development by 2-3weeks! :)Shez

Shez Ansari

Good to hear you solved it :). Yes, when using FsRegen to make a library, the changes need to go into the API, not into the ASM code. That's a bit confusing...

Arno