Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

ObjectPlacementTool will not activate

I cannot get a Tools menu on the main menu bar in FSX when I try to activate the Object Placement Tool; I've followed the help/tutorial threads and file from Luis, and tried a copy and paste splice from the dll.xml sample in the Missions SDK, tried several FSX start up conditions with default or addon sceneries - still no Tools menu.The SDK is installed in its default location of Microsoft Games Flight Simulator FSX etc in the C: partition on my first drive. FSX is in the G:partition on a second drive.Any ideas of what is wrong?NigelVancouverMy System:Intel Core2 Duo E6400Gigabyte GA 965G DS3 mobo Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950XT video card PCI-e 512MB2GB Transcend 800Mhz DDR2 RAMMaxtor 80GB 7200rpm hard driveMaxtor 200GB 7200rpm hard driveWestern Digital 250GB 7200rpm hard driveCreative Sound Blaster Live! with latest driversNEC FE950+ crt monitorCHProducts USB yoke and pedalsWindows XP Home edition with SP2DirectX 9.0©Cooler Master 600W power supply Five case fans

Hi Nigel,Are you sure you enabled the DLL files in the dll.xml file? By default there is a line that reads:TRUEYou need to replace the TRUE with FALSE. And of course you need to make sure the paths are correct for your installation folder.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi ArnoThx for your response - yes I think I have done everything according to the book and my ddl.xml file contents are below.I have just gone through a hard drive (c:) failure, followed by a motherboard failure. This meant a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and video card. My dealer managed to recover all my Windows XP files and I found I had to re-activate FSX, but basically the computer and FSX have been operating well since. I wondered whether FSX had lost contact with the registry so I have just put the FSX discs in and done a repair. That has not resolved the Tool menu not showing.I also activated TrafficToolBox and VisualEffects to see whether they would bring in the Tools menu - no luck. The FSUIPC4 module is showing okay in the Addon menu.It is a puzzlement.Nigelddl.xml contents: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?> - Launchdll.xmlFalseFalse - Object Placement ToolFalseFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKMission Creation Kitobject_placement.dll- Traffic ToolboxFalseFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKEnvironment KitTraffic Toolbox SDKtraffictoolbox.dll- Visual Effects ToolFalseFalse..Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDKSDKEnvironment KitSpecial Effects SDKvisualfxtool.dll- FSUIPC 4FalseModulesFSUIPC4.dll

If your SDK is installed in the default location (presumably on the C: drive) and your FSX is installed on the G: drive, then you need to use full paths to the DLL file, and not the .. relative paths in the file listing above. Something like:c:Program FilesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X SDKMission Creation Kitobject_placement.dll Check and make sure what the exact path is to the DLL file and use that of course, I'm just guessing at some of the above :->