Sign in to follow this  

Flying HAS to be more difficult than this!!!!!!!

I have been using FS2002 for about 6 months now -- I can download a new unfamiliar type aircraft , start it up , fly and land it easily within minutes. Now, I am pretty sure that, as a non-reallife flyer, I would find it impossible to get into some advanced aircraft cockpit and just simply take of and land in it. Probably couldn't even find where to put the key in the ignition!!!!!So , is this really just a game? Is there some aircraft/panel out there that really does simulate a complete aircraft and the experience of flying?Barry

Bazza,are you trying to get it as real as it getsdo you know the difference between VFR/IFR?when IFR:flightplanning (SID's,airways,STAR's)???...flying is not just pushing a button to start up the engine and go fly wherever you want,nor do what you want to doyou CAN call it a game,but you should use it as a simulatorregards,Seba

Guest Edam

>I can download a new unfamiliar type aircraft , start it up , fly >and land it easily within minutes.God bless you, my son. Do you have anything else to sell?

I'm not a real pilot either, and I've often thought about this.Having been on a couple of 'introduction' flights in real light aircraft, flying them *seemed* easy and I've often read remarks by real pilots that flying is actually more difficult in FS because of the lack of 'feel', the limited view (no periferal vision, having to use awkward controls to look around) and the unfamiliar controls.However:The real difficulty in real flight would be flight planning, managing your aircraft, navigation, communications, crew and looking out for traffic all at the same time, keeping in mind safety and efficiency, economy, passenger comfort, timetables and above all, the ability to respond to unusual situations, malfunctions, emergencies, weather and so on.In FS, flying can be as easy as jumping on your bike and you're on your way. But FS, combined with all the bells and whistles and add-ons, can be a real challenge too, if you make a proper flight plan (using proper procedures, charts, navaids, altitude restrictions, noise abatement restrictions, etc.) filing it with ATC (keeping in mind that FS ATC is highly simplified!), loading real weather, and sticking to the plan using all proper procedures and airline regulations, using as little fuel as possible, etc. etc. etc. Even then, even if you're keeping your virtual flight as realistic as possible-you won't be feeling the responsibilty for the lives of your passengers and crew, and you will be aware that even if you do crash, no harm is done to anyone.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A GAME ... and nothing even romotely more..Yours truly,CB :-wave

>read remarks by real pilots that flying is actually more >difficult in FS because of the lack of 'feel', the limited >view (no periferal vision, having to use awkward controls to >look around) and the unfamiliar controls. >As far as I'm concerned, for a real pilot who is also familiar with PC flight sims and their controls (sensitivity,etc), drop down windows, etc. won't have too much trouble. I tend to have a "feel" in matters such as trim & left drift, just because my mind relates to the real thing. When a 10,000 hr. real pilot can't fly MSFS with any profiency, it's usually more a matter of not being use to a simulated computer inviroment and it's obvious restrictions, than the program itself.L.Adamson

In addition to the previous advice, there are more things to think about.......... such as passenger/cargo loading & density altitude. You might have to limit the amount of fuel you can carry, or even wait until dusk for the "heat" of the day to dissipate. There are even airports where waiting for a direction in wind change would be required to take off in the right direction. Density altitude is also brought into the picture regarding small twin engine aircraft. It might turn out, that given your particular gross weight, that you won't even be able to climb should one engine fail. And then there is all the rest concerning twin engine -- engine out operation & the quick reflexes to get it all under conrol. Especially if you're dealing with bad weather, ATC, and an ILS approach all at the same time!Many, many items & proceedures to learn. And then you might forget half of them & re-learn it all again!!L.Adamson

LarryI placed two 18000 hr corporate pilots on MSFS and they found the aircraft to be twitchy, far to sensitive and lacking in feel.They were all over the place like newbies yet these guys fly commercial simulators which themselves are different.My son could do touch and goes in the FS98 Seneca all day but would not have pulled off an approach and landing in the real Seneca.Are the FS variety more difficult than the real?They are twitchier but not realistic so we yet have a long way to go to get a more realistic experience which doesnt just involve flight modelling but also hardware and the need for a better sky and weather invironemnt.Maybe by FS2004 a number of weak areas in the sim will be looked at including panel presentation, stopping the ridiculous 2D/3D marriage,Far better flight modelling capability especially in the slow flight area.Far Far better weather and Sky depictionPeter

Mr. L Adamson,Are you suggesting that a 10,000 hour real pilot (whom mostly will work for an airline holding an ATP rating and multiple heavy jet type ratings) doesn't know the REAL feel of a flight simulated aircraft? All airline pilots spent numerous hours in, albiet multi-million dollar, level 4 simulators in initial and recurrent training. There input is paramount to producing and developing REALISTIC flight model fidelity. I agree with your point, regarding the restrictions of the sim itself. Yet, those restrictions can often be overcome. If MS commercial 3rd party aircraft companies can make beautiful aircraft as they do, don't you think MS could do a little (in respect to there enourmous financing and resources) effort to make a more realistic flight model? Yours Truly,CB :-wave

>Larry >>I placed two 18000 hr corporate pilots on MSFS and they >found the aircraft to be twitchy, far to sensitive and >lacking in feel. >Peter,It was exactly your comments, that I was thinking of. The corporate pilots-------------- are not use to these little joysticks & sensitivity! I AM!!! Does this make me a better pilot, than the 18,000 hr corporate pilot.............. of course not!!Why not use other opinions such as those from Dave (DaveKDEN) or Eric Ernst (PIC767) who have regularly used MSFS as well as commercial piloting too. I have a feeling they won't be near as "twitchy" at the controls. Heck, I'm never twitchy at MSFS, but probably wouldn't do near as well with a commercial heavy!!As to the FS variety more difficult than real............ they must not be, because if they were...... I'd feel very comfortable getting right into a 747! But I'm NOT! Wouldn't even feel at home in a Citation X either :)L.Adamson

Hey Barry, don't let em scare you :). I totally disagree that flying in MSFS is easier than in real life. Now, this is in reguards to general aviation aircraft, say Cessna or Piper variety single or light twins.I find that navigating in flight sim extrmemly hard going VFR, and flying IFR extremely hard due to lack of feedback in the controls (i.e. joystick).Once practicing all the everyday stuff that you need to do to become a proficient pilot, flying becomes second nature. Bback when I was a private pilot, with say 100 hours or so, I really had to think about what I was doing next, how to go about it, etc. Now I can pretty much jump in the plane (Cessna 172 S) and go.With all the neat gizmos out there these days it really takes the hard part out of flying. As an example, I recently made an IFR flight across state and back. Since I've been flying down here for about 2 years, I did my flight planning on my Palm V, called in my flight plan to Flight Service, and took off and got my clearence in the air. Using the GPS coupled to the 5" multi-function display and 2-axis autopilot, I pretty much kicked back and listened to music all the way over.Pilots are WAY overpaid :), until something bad happens of course...mw

>Mr. L Adamson, >>Are you suggesting that a 10,000 hour real pilot (whom >mostly will work for an airline holding an ATP rating and >multiple heavy jet type ratings) doesn't know the REAL feel >of a flight simulated aircraft? No............. I'm suggesting just what I said. Trim, left drift, & any other "feelings" out minds can inject into the simulation. >If MS commercial 3rd party aircraft >companies can make beautiful aircraft as they do, don't you >think MS could do a little (in respect to there enourmous >financing and resources) effort to make a more realistic >flight model? >The developers of MSFS are still budgeted & limited with regards to expenses & amount of programmers, not to mention time retraints. It's not as open end financing as everyone seems to believe! Besides, what's wrong with commercial 3rd party vendors spending addtional thousands of hours to get aircraft up to spec, for the most demanding simmers?L.Adamson

>I totally disagree >that flying in MSFS is easier than in real life. MS is a "cake walk"! Never once have I worried about an emergency landing site over a large MS city, or running out of fuel! The "pause" button is also great, when ATC gives me a command for a particular runway & I have to stop to get out the map. It must be easier!!!!!! :) L.Adamson