Sign in to follow this  
itifonhom

Texture Replacement in FSX

Hi everybody, the Ground textures in FSX, mostly the Autumn and Winter ones are way too "desert looking", that

Hi there,yup, that's the basic process. Except that I'm using the FSX SDK ImageTool.exe. I've set up a "conversion" folder with the .exe in it and made two simple DOS batch files:"imagetool DXT1 to 24-bit.bat" contains this line:imagetool -24 -nomip -noalpha *.bmpand "imagetool 24-bit to DXT1.bat" this line: imagetool -DXT1 -e bmp *.bmpIn my work flow I copy a default (or custom) DXT1 set into that folder and run "imagetool DXT1 to 24-bit.bat", then do the edits, and then run "imagetool 24-bit to DXT1.bat".One main issue with working on texture sets is hue and brightness consitency within and between sets. To help with within-set consitency I combine the individual variants into one large Photoshop file, make my edits, and then use a Photoshop macro (action) to split the big file again into individual tiles.Have fun.Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger, thanks very much for your help!! :-) Just one question though. I thought the textures in FSX were DTX5 files, not DTX1. So, why convert them with the image tool from DTX1 to bmp???? Thanks again, itifonhom.

.... and yet another question: How to find which files are used where??? I mean, how do I know which are the Winter files, in which region are used? Any tips? And about the bat, I suppose that the * in the lines should be left out, right?? Thanks once more for the help..... itifonhom.