Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lucky

Need advise before releasing new scenery forl labrador ...

Guest Lucky

Hi all.We at Flight Ontario are about to release a scenery compilation of towns and airports up the Eastern Labrador Coast.The are a total of 14 airport scenerys from the SE end to the NE Excluding Goose Bay.Goose is a seperate complex scenery on its ownSee map includedBecause of the amount of airports We would like to have them all in one scenery called labrador Regional Airports rather than 14 seperate sceneries.Putting so many seperate scenery files for such a large area in one scenery sounds good but will it cause problems in the sim.Can anyone see a downfall to this idea.Look forward to your repliesThanks Al Sibleyhttp://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_asibley.gifhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/193081.jpg

>Hi all.>>We at Flight Ontario are about to release a scenery>compilation of towns and airports up the Eastern Labrador>Coast.>The are a total of 14 airport scenerys from the SE end to the>NE Excluding Goose Bay.>Goose is a seperate complex scenery on its own>See map included>>Because of the amount of airports We would like to have them>all in one scenery called labrador Regional Airports rather>than 14 seperate sceneries.>>Putting so many seperate scenery files for such a large area>in one scenery sounds good but will it cause problems in the>sim.>Can anyone see a downfall to this idea.>>Look forward to your replies>Thanks Al SibleyWell, I often group scenery and traffic files for a region into onescenery folder. In my case I do it to be able to have different scenery.cfgfiles for different parts of the world and being able to disableseveral scenery elements with a single 'check' is far easierthan scanning hundreds of entries.Then there are the scenery elements from a single author thatcover a broad area. Frank's Alps come to mind. They are groupedinto a few scenery folders but each one contains several scenery bgl's.Another instance, I have all my Hawaii scenery and ADE filesin a single folder.I've not encountered any problems with this approach that I KNOW of but as we all know with FSX, YMMV. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Sounds good to me. I like to keep all them together myself on my sceneries and have never had any issues, but never released as many as in this project. From an end user POV, I much prefer a one shot deal, less hassle.Great looking project, please say it's for FSX. Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

IIUC what really matters is the bgl file header lat/long extents. that is what will determine if FS has to read the file looking for scenery. It is true that all bgl files in a folder will be read and and the location data compiled into a FileListnnnnn.dat file within the SceneryIndexes folder during scenery install. My guess is the overhead involved in reading a big .dat file vice a small .dat file is not measureable performance-wise. scott s..

Guest Lucky

I wish.Unfortunately this scenery was started 4 years ago and has taken this long to do.Mostly because getting pics there is really hard due to the short Summer season.It was 80% donw when FSX came out and contains alot of custom ground textures which is not transferable over to FSX.Basically we would have to start from scratch on most of it.Alhttp://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_asibley.gif