Sign in to follow this  
Mac_Paint

OT - Windows XP - No Shutdown

I figured I'd try here since I've had no luck elsewheres. Project Frankenstein will no longer shutdown through XP's shutdown menu item.I've checked the bios under the power mangement options and no matter what I select, I cannot shutdown the box without using the front button. Now, whenever the system goes into suspend mode, I have to do a shutdown with the button to restart the system. I've checked within XP's control panels to see if I've enabled any wake on activity commands but find nothing. My next step is to reset the bios to default and reinstall XP. At some point everything changed for the worse, because prior to this, Frankenstein was running like a champ.Oh, for OS X on Intel...Pete

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Pete,Sorry to here of your woes. Took me and my Beast about a month to figure out how to get along. :-fume Since then, smooth sailing (so far). :-beerchugResetting your bios to default shouldn't require you to re-install windows XP as I uderstand it. I have reset mine back to default after several changes screwed up my computer and it worked fine. Also may want to try running the internal help program in XP. I was suprised at how useful it was compared to Apple Guide on the Mac. I was able to solve some major operating software problems with the help program. If all else fails, you could attempt to send your computer back in time to a day when you know it worked. You will lose everything you have updated since that date but you won't have to re-install XP. Good LuckPaul :-cool

I had a similar problem with my WinXP Pro box. Turned out I had recently installed "Easy CD Creator Platinum 5.0" on it and this was a known cause. I download both an update (to 5.0d I think) and a specific XP patch from their official web site and the problem went away.David.

Thanks. I've reset the bios and now I can once again, shutdown. I still have to enable the wake from sleep function but that 'should' not be too hard. I've another problem regarding access to certain software by other users. I've installed a Starwars game as adminstrator but my son with a limited user account cannot run it. Keeps booting the installer but no luck on reinstalling the game under his account. Make me appreciate the relative ease of use of Mac OS X. Thanks for your help.Pete

I've installed so many little addon's and drivers that I may have to revert to a few days ago to get everything back to normal. Thanks for the advice,Pete