Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Fly! 2 - Slow By Design :-(

I just bought Fly! 2. The graphics at times are stunning, though they fall short of offering an immersive experience, due to the lack of detail. Cities like Chicago seem to have vanished from the previous version? Airports look deserted and half done.What really bothers me though is the lack of fluidity. I have a powerful computer with a Geforce4 graphics board. I get a frame rate above 18 fps all of the time in FS2002 with everything maxed, over non populated areas as high as in the mid 30s. Fly! 2 crawls, there is no comparison, this program has a problem somewhere. This code is far from optimized. With scenery as undense and unsophisticated as is delivered it should be way faster. I think TRI did not do a very good job, they concentrated too much on doing aircraft systems and forgot about optimizing the code for speed and adding scenery details. What where they thinking? And the helicopter is a joke! It looks beautiful but the sounds are unfinished and don't work well, the flight model is a crying shame. No wonder FS2002 is so much more popular. What a pity, TRI had such a good start with Fly!Oh well, maybe they'll get it right if they ever make a new one.:-(Alex

Guest Ken_Salter

Your system needs to be tweaked. I assume you have read the First Timer's post and are fully patched.So, if you are serious about wanting to get Fly! II to run as best as possible on your computer, post your system specs and the render.ini file contents and someone will gladly help you out.As to scenery, you can download my Meigs scenery, which gives you some of downtown Chicago, plus many other airports and sceneries.Or you can make your own using TerraModels and TerraScene.It is true that Fly! II is more "high maintenance" than other sims. That does NOT mean you cannot derive an enjoyable experience from it.If you don't care about trying to get it run on your system...so be it.http://www.thesalters.org/images/Avsim_sig_KS.jpg

Guest GrantM

Alex,A word to the wise, a post like your is better placed after a few months of experience with FLY!II, rather than just having bought it, armed only with first impressions. Some of us with lesser machines have had very satisfactory performance and have learned to make certain adjustments and supplement the basic sim with great addons to achieve very good results. You have offered critique that can be applied to all sims. Don't rush to judgment. Fly!II for me is fluid, and I only have a PIII 1GHz, 512MB RAM machine with only a NVidia GF2 Ultra card. Great scenery can be downloaded to replace the generic. So ask fellow flyers in forum for assistance in tweaking your computer to achieve at least the fluidity you expected from FLY!II. Many here are able to help. I think you will be pleasantly surprised that others had some of your experience and have overcome these first impressions and found elements of great merit in this particular sim. Hope this statement is of some encouragement.Grant

And mine is a Pentium III 400MHZ.Rodger :-smile12

Fly II has it's share of problems but performance isn't one of them. I have a PIII 1Ghz and a GF3 64mb card and FlyII runs much better on my system than MSFS2002. To add to that, all of the areas I fly in are Terrascene which adds to the load. You need to check your system for problems.Richard

Alex,The flight model for the heli has been praised by many who have rotor experience. It is true that there were some adjustments needed. You will find these fixes and settings available for download in the file library.Sound Enhancement: http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=10035Fixes/Enhancements: http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=9901You'll also want to be sure to download all the manuals (or the complete manual) that were finished after Fly!II was released. These are also available in the file library. As they are PDF files, I would recommend right-clicking them and choosing Save As to get them down - otherwise, Acrobat would try to open the entire doc online. :-)If you also patch up to a minimum of the version 210 level, you will get many fixes and updates - I would recommend patching all the way to the beta build 230. Fly!II has come a long way since the original release you hold in your hands. As Ken has stated, there is plenty of information at the top of the forum page to get you started and optimized - your system should have no problem running Fly!II when these adjustments are made.

Randall Rocke

Guest Jan

Regarding the helicopter,download the Bell407fix.v8 and it will handlemuch better.The sound also,and remember,this is a four bladed Bell sothe sound differ from an ordinary huey.The torque effects can alsobe switched off if you prefer.Have a nice flight :)JanSorry Randall,didn't see your post :)

They made a design choice in terrain loading software in FLYII whereby the simulation will not advance until the right scenery is loaded. In FS2002 (isn't it the first time ?) the scenery update is allowed to fall "behind" not interfering with the actual simulation which has higher priority. In my opinion the approach in FS2002 is superior and FLYII is bound to stutter specially during turns or abrupt manouvers. Yes Alex, I do agree 100% with most of your statements including the one about good start with FLY!.Michael J.