Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

LSGC ILS Fix Uploaded (pics)

I have just uploaded an ILS fix for Les Eplatures, Switzerland. LSGC is another of Danny Masson's Swiss Airport Series - it's not in the "hairy approach" category, but certainly requires care as it sits in a valley surrounded by hills.

Adjustments include addition of the glide slope, extension of the localizer range, and a DME reading of 0.0 NM at the displaced threshold. I have set the GS angle to the proper 3.5 degrees, though that angle will not become functional till a future beta release. In the meantime, the 3-degree default will still bring you safely in.

This is a nice little airport. The runway is 3609', so use your best short-field technique if you're coming in with a twin. I was a little high and ended up with a lot of beta-thrust and brakes to end up with my nosewheel on the run-off. :-)

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall!I nearly missed it! My home airport!I live near Les Eplatures (I can see the planes on final through my window. Thanks a lot for the ILS fix! ). The funny thing is that I have a job in surveys and we made the measurements for the Glide Slope antennas implementation and control. In fact, it's not functional since a long time, and I'm happy to see it already in Fly! II.Sometimes I regret that one important feature misses in Fly!: the ability to implement non-flat runways. LSGC is not flat at all; landing and take off are very strange indeed. And I know we'll never be able to simulate it correctly. (Except if a future patch implements it, but I doubt this will happen... bah, enough wonderful features in Fly! II). Here is a picture to show what I mean![http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cea8ad512994607.jpg]Here is the King Air...[http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cea8afc12e444d4.jpg]And a fast drawing I made for Danny:[http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cea8b29135f566e.jpg]Best Regards!Pascal

Pascal,Thanks for the pics - that approach shot really shows how different your strip is! :-lol I don't think I've ever seen a strip angled that much to the side, though I've certainly seen a few with hills or slopes in them.I learned to fly off a grass strip that had a hill in the middle. During the Spring thaw, the center became one large muddy hole, so we all learned to land to one side or the other until the ground became hard again. You can imagine what happened when someone who didn't know this (or recognize it) landed in the mud. ;) Here's a little info on the current state of the ILS/DME and similar approaches in Fly!II. With the advent of Build 230, the DME will read the correct distance, even when not colocated with the localizer. My update puts it in the proper spot and makes use of this. However...this will only work properly with those DME-equipped aircraft that have analog instrumentation - we have recently discovered that CRT-equipped aircraft DO NOT read this correctly. Planes such as the Hawker, Pilatus, & Socata read the distance to the localizer transmitter instead, so keep that in mind when reading distances! This item and the glide slope angle response are both being looked at in the beta group, so we're hoping for good things in the future.

Randall Rocke