Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Photorealistic Oahu

Here's what I've been working on, complements of NASA. ;)Don

Holy geeeez, Got to have that , Need to have that! Need it now!!! Oh well thought i would try. good job it`s gorgous scenery. By the way, What type program are you using? Jeff Akins

It definitely has got my interest, too. Great job, Don! Keep it up!Cheers,

WOW!!That's looking mighty fine. How long is it taking you to import the NASA images into the FLY! program?Hope you'll be uploading this great looking scenery.Peter

Thanks for these really nice responses! In response to a couple of questions, I hope to upload this scenery in the next couple of weeks. First I need to trim the file size down by including a water mask a distance out from shore and take care of some problems with the runways at Honolulu International -- which means trying out the Ground Type Transform utility as well as VolEdit and DexImport. One thing I noticed is that there is no elevation to Diamond Head -- it appears flat -- don't think there is anything I can do about that.The NASA photo I used was a huge (20 MB) file found on NASA's Visable Earth site (visableearth.nasa.gov). The detail was there but the colors overly saturated and unnatural. I used a second NASA photo (a much smaller file with much less detail) to blend in a more natural color scheme using Photoshop Elements. I also painted out about a gizillion clouds with the clone tool. There are a lot more beautiful satellite photos at Visable Earth but I didn't see any with this level of detail over such a beautiful piece of the earth.Don

Hi Don, First off, wonderful rendition of Oahu! I used to live there back in the early to mid 80's... Have you tried running TerraScene2 and doing JUST DEM data with your imagery? I know we've had some problems with elevation data and flattening of airports, but I think the last patch for the editor somewhat fixed that. Just curious. Check the Oahu scenery for Fly! I / Fly!2K. The author, David Haynes - might could be of some help - possibly Lefteris as well, from his Greek Scenery exploits. Looking forward to the release!Cheers! Ken WoodCNN International Weather :-sun1

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Ken,Actually what I did was first create a TS rendering and then layer the NASA photo on top of it. My settings for the elevations were subdivideDensity=4 and subdivideTolerance=200. I checked and the crater floor of Diamond Head is 200 feet and the summit is 762 feet so it seems like I should have seen some elevation. I just reran it with subdivedDensity=8 and subdivideTolerance=40 and this did give it what looked like an appropriate rise but the file size becomes very, very large. Thanks for your comments. I should check out David Haynes scenery but I'll have to set up Fly!2K again to do it -- I know it's supposed to be very good.Don

The David Haynes scenery did really look good for the orignal FLY/FLY2K, and I still have it on my other CPU. But......... if you can get this new scenery to look like So-Cal from altitude, it would be a far improvement over the "grainier" graphics limitations available from FLY2K. I just personally find scenery like So-Cal to be the most visually appealing scenery from altitude that I've run across. From your screenshots it looks as though your getting close!L.Adamson