Sign in to follow this  

Not interesting , just an experiment

The limit for any picture in this forum is 125 kB, as per upload instructions.Dave :)

Hi Dave,You are right about the maximum.BUT !It has nothing to do with FLASH images.The only thing what`s going to the avsim server isa tiny html code ( let`s say 1kb ).This code tells your browser to look at my URL andget the files needed by your FLASHplug-in from there.The same goes for my signature-logo it is only 5kb.When I make a highly detailed fotoshot of 1.5 mb insteadit will appear ( after some loadingtime ) on this page.The same story agian , it`s me paying for the data-trafficbecause it comes from my own website.It is not possible to place FLASH animation on the forumthe program is instructed to neglect FLASH.Why this is done, I do not know.Most likely it has nothing to do with data-traffic.Regards

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Hi Tom,Very nice logo.Maybe you can try to use gif istead of jpg.You`ll have more quality in the pic`s.There is alway a lot of destortion in jpg.Greets

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Leen,Very nice logo, by the way! Even static.I like it!Cheers!PascalP.S: Can't you convert it to an animated GIF with Flash? I think that it's supported.

Thanks for the compliment Pascal.It is possible in FLASH ( I think ) but I don`t have FLASH to makethe FLASH files.I use SWISH and as far as I know does`nt dis programsupport FLASH to animated GIF conversion.groeten

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Yeps, Flash is a bit expensive just to convert a file... :-)I didn't know Swish, could you please give me a link? (did you mean SWeedISH ? :-) or maybe SWISS :-lol )Salut!

>The same goes for my signature-logo it is only 5kb. >When I make a highly detailed fotoshot of 1.5 mb instead >it will appear ( after some loadingtime ) on this page. >The same story agian , it`s me paying for the data-traffic >because it comes from my own website. >>It is not possible to place FLASH animation on the forum >the program is instructed to neglect FLASH. >Why this is done, I do not know. >Most likely it has nothing to do with data-traffic. It goes deeper than that Leen... imagine 20 replies with each person using a flash animation of 1.5 megs... each person VIEWING the message would have to load 30 megs of data... not a good thing... I wouldn't want to load that much stuff just to read a message :)See my point, it's not the issue of YOU paying the bandwidth charges?Joseph

Hallo Joseph,Thank you for thinking about my topic and the point you makeis 100% genuine right.I totally agree with you.It is sometimes usefull to make a problem bigger than is really isto get a clear view at it.That`s what I did and your reaction is exactly the one I wanted to have.Let me explain myself:If people want to place FLASH animations on the forum , and they are1.5 meg , we have a problem indeed and I was aware of that.BUT,the FLASH animation I made was only 21kb ( very nice but also verysmall)In fact , this FLASH animation is smaller than the same animationmade as animated -gif ,much nicer to see.We are allowed to place GIf files (animated or not ) on the forum which are much bigger than my SWISH/FLASH animation.Therefore I think ,the rule should be: FLASH yes ,BUT not bigger than. At this moment there are pages on the forum with screenshots ( ten or more )each 65 to 100 kb.They give the same problem as you gave in your example.Regards

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Just forgot to tell.My signature-logo on this page is about 5 kb.This logo as a FLASH animation,with the flybike coming in and going out of the logo with text fading in and out with a duration of about 8 seconds per cycle is exactly 25kb.Bye

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Bonsoir Pascal,C`est une programme tres utile et pas expensive.Environ de 50 dollars.L`adresse www.swishzone.com chercher pour SWISH V2Salut et amiti

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Thank you for thinking about my topic and the point you make is 100% genuine right. I totally agree with you.Hello Leen, you're welcome.It is sometimes usefull to make a problem bigger than is really is to get a clear view at it. That`s what I did and your reaction is exactly the one I wanted to have.Yes, I do understand that and only wanted to point out the "bigger" problems that could occur also.Let me explain myself:If people want to place FLASH animations on the forum , and they are 1.5 meg , we have a problem indeed and I was aware of that. BUT,the FLASH animation I made was only 21kb ( very nice but also very small) In fact , this FLASH animation is smaller than the same animation made as animated -gif ,much nicer to see.I did pop the link into my browser; the object was nice to view and small in size.We are allowed to place GIf files (animated or not) on the forum which are much bigger than my SWISH/FLASH animation.Therefore I think ,the rule should be: FLASH yes ,BUT not bigger than. At this moment there are pages on the forum with screenshots ( ten or more )each 65 to 100 kb. They give the same problem as you gave in your example.I do like FLASH animations. Personally, I have no problem with expressive signature files, though at times it does get annoying, as when they are linked to a server outside of AVSIM that goes down. It takes a while for the attempted load of that file before it times out.Just to throw out some other possible problems, because even with limits I have a feeling that there is just too many people that could/would abuse it.Example 1:People may add audio clips, small and down sampled, that will fit easily into a 125 kb limit. Imagine 15 beeps, honks and "hello's" going off at the same time in a thread.Example 2:Within a 125kb file I can chain another 1 to infinite number of FLASH animations to load in the same space.Again this may seem extreme, but I do see this as a potential area for abuse.Me? I just like to read the messages and help out when I can. Wish the Screen Shot forum would allow for larger pictures though as compressed files almost defeat the purpose of showing peoples works.Other than that, it isn't really a big deal to me :)Joseph