Sign in to follow this  
Guest Twister

A final post and goodbye from Richard Harvey

I do not expect a reply to this post. I believe I understand the close and loving feelings of this group for me and my family, and those who wish to lift up silent prayers and thoughts, that is fine. I already feel guilty enough to expending so much web storage on my personal health.It is now time for me to say goodbye to each of you, and AVSIM, for the final time.I returned home from the hospital today, and nature will now take it's final course. I believe the time will be very short, and even now typing on my computer I can feel the weakness in my bones, and the very fact I probably won't be able to type in a week. I will be spending more and more time sleeping as my pain meds have to be increased to counter the multiple tumors that have now sealed my stomach, small colon, and common bile duct. A fourth surrounds my liver. The chemo I tried last week has whacked my delicate bone marrow, and even after have multiple units of blood and platelets of the past many days I am very anemic and prone to internal bleeding without warning.I'll miss all of you, though hopefully I will be seeing many of you again in Paradise very soon. If I see your name on the inbound passenger manifest, I'll be sure to meet you at the door!Tara will notify Tom directly once I have passed away, and will have instructions on where to send flowers if you wish. There will also be a public memorial service held for all who wish to attend, and Tara will have dates on that too (that will be in Lewisville, TX, about 15 min. drive from KDFW). Also remember that Tom and AVSIM formed a scholorship program through Embry-Riddle honoring my name. I believe the link is http://www.avsim.com/pages/scholarship.shtml. This is also a way that we can continue to be present as a tight-knit community in the global aviation industry for many more years to come, even from afar.I hope the absolute best for each of you. I wish I could write a personal letter to all of you. The wonderful debates of Michal J and LAdamson. Amazing creations of people like Todd Klaus, Chris Wallace, Jak Fearon, David Sandberg, Rob Westhouse, Rob Young, Lefteris, PMDG, and others (please forgive this list -- is certainly is not all inclusive). Wonderful paint jobs from MacPaint. Amazing tenacity and spirit from GOODY. Our brave (and I believe still singular) female, Lindy. The AVSIM socials and conferences and online forums, all have become a daily part of my life that is very difficult to let go of. But that is the process I have started recently, and I'm letting go of my most precious activities so I can do so under my control and discretion, instead of unexpectedly being rushed off the hospital and never know if I'll get to say goodbye or not.When you get news of my death, please consider it a joyous occassion. I will be in a much better place. I will be free of pain and suffering forever. I will never have to endure another needle, knife, procedure, nausea, side-effects, or pain again. Specifically, here are the activities that are Richard Harvey approved:Comedy Movies/DVDS:Airplane!American PieAustin Powers, International Man of MysteryMonty Python (any/all)Big Trouble in Little ChinaBlazing SaddlesCaddyshackDirty, Rotten, ScoundrelsFerris Bueller's Day OffGalaxyQuestThe 'BurbsThe Pink Panther Strikes AgainThe Simpsons Complete Season #2PC Games:Flight Simulation (your choice)Total AnnihilationBattlefield 1942Unreal Tournament 2K3MAMEConsole Games:Animal Kingdom (GC)Super Monkey Ball 2 (GC)NFL 2K3 (Oakland vs. Tampa Bay) (PS2/Xbox)Soul Calibur (DC)Crazy Taxi (DC)Mario Kart 64 (N64)Super Mario Bros (NES)Nintendo Tennis or Hockey (NES)Legend of Zelda (NES)Adventure (2600)Pitfall (2600)Atari Race (w/race paddles, ice track only, 2600)Drag Racing (Activision; 2600)Astrosmash (Mattel Intellivision 2)Downhill Skiing (Mattel Intellivision 2)Appropriate Drinks:There is only 1 -- Henry Weinhard's Root Beer, fully chilled, no ice. (Seattle micro-brew, available online. Some would argue for Thomas Kemper, which is excellent, but I find too heady. Also a Seattle micro-brew, available online.)If you need some appropriate munchies, I'd recommend making a big skillet of Wick Fowler's 3-Alarm Chili (you can adjust the alarms yourself). Great for a Super Bowl Sunday too.These are only recommendations, of course. Try to stay away from things that are dark, dreary, introspective, tear jerkers, etc. Think HAPPY -- be HAPPY. If that is too much to ask, then I'll change the word HAPPY to POSITIVE. That's the flow of feeling I want rolling through my soul as I depart this earth from each of you, is absolute POSITIVE energy. Don't stall on me, I have to soar!******* Christ is my Lord and Saviour. As my loving God and Lord has protected and guided me throughout my life, I pray he will do likewise for you and your family. May each of you acheive your dreams, and not be troubled by hardships. I pray for your good health. God will only give you as much load as you can bear, and never any more. Do not lose hope, nor certainly faith. Above all, do not fear evil, for though it surrounds us it can never hurt us. It may claim hollow victories, but it always suffers defeat.I am and will always remain your friend. Please have a good life, and cherish every minute of it. This is my last post forever.Richard HarveyProducer/Lead ProgrammerFly!/Fly!2K/Fly!IITerminal Reality

Goodbye Rich, for now!Thankyou for the joy you have given me, I will always remember you.All The Best My friend to you and your familySteve Brown

Guest jcomm

Time where you're going to isn't really a factor! You will *** ALLWAYS *** be remembered!!! Specially whenever I feel nearer to the Heavens, like when I fly, for real or virtually!Thank you for your ENORMOUS contribution Richard, not only for the constant fight against all odds you fought, to give us the Masterpiece Fly is today, but above all, WAY ABOVE, for the example of character you teached me, and those lucky enough to have shared with you so many rich moments here on Earth!!!(Excuse me for my highschool English, and sparse vocabulary...)

Rich, I just happened to be coming through the forums when you posted. While I knew this message was coming, it is still hard to read. But I wish you well on the rest of your journey and I do hope we see each other again.I unanchored the update from Tara and put your message in it's place. And don't you feel one bit guilty for taking up any space on AVSIM for your words. I can't think of any better use of the space right now.

Guest DSandberg

Keep flying high, Rich. We'll remember and miss you, until the day when we can greet you once again and forever.- David Sandberg

Guest Hagar

Rich,You have made a huge impact on me and my hobby.I have (and will) enjoy your work for years to come.Thanks for all the joy - and wisdom.

Good night Rich...and have a great day with your family tomorrow...merci pour toutJoelCYQB

Guest JeffB

Thanks for all the good memories,Jeff Burke

Richard,I bid you a fond farewell, but only for a little while.Regards, Rick RossnerSr. Library ManagerAVSIM Onlinewww.avsim.comrick@avsim.com

Hello Richard & Tara,I don't know what to say other than I hope your pain is eased sooner rather than later.I cannot appreciate how you are feeling because I am not you.I can only pray that the Lord will continue to protect and guide you and your family.May the peace that you will soon enjoy be extended through your family friends and all of us.I hope to also meet you one day in a place where all flight sims are equal and completely bug-free. Well one can hope, right?Richard,Thank you for exemplifying what being a gracious, considerate human being is all about.Having never met you in person, I will still sincerely miss you, but you will only be a forum search away. :-)May the peace of our Lord be with you always and forever.God Bless You Richard and your family as well.Sincerely,Joseph M. RanosSonar5Here are Picture Galleries of My Trip out west in 2002..Gallery #1 Pima Air & Space Museum + AMARC (Boneyard) at Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona. (over 240 Pictures)http://www.pbase.com/sonar5/pimaamarc

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Goodbye Richard.Thank you so very much for Fly! and all the support you have given to our hobby.Fly! is awesome and so are you.With highest regards,Jim Dillman

Rich ;you're and will always be with us ,we'll never forget you..Guillermo RocchiBuenos Aires

Hi and good bye Rich. As a part of the beta testing team for Fly II I know what you must have been going through. I thank you and the rest of the team for allowing me to be a part of that testing. Life is long for some, and short for others. If you have to rate what you done for the flight sim and I am sure other communites I think we could all give you a A+. God Bless you and your family, and may you have a great exit from this world to the next one coming up. You will be very much missed. Later: Bob Getterz

RichardHave a good journey and by the grace of our Lord and Saviour ******* Christ we will meet again in his time.Kind regards and God blessAlfred