Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Brown

March 13

On March 13, 2003, I was on on the golf course pursuing my "second favorite" hobby. At the first tee, I realized that it wasn't going to be a good day... my first shot sailed right (into the water) - my second shot wasn't any better (it got wet too). The next few holes didn't provide any additional hope - I was frustrated, I was out-of-sync, and I was getting angry. On the fifth fairway, almost out of nowhere, one of the worst storms I've ever experienced rolled in. The sky was a "deep" green, lightning was crackling all around, the rain fell in big drops, and the wind was blowing at over 45 kts. (verified later by checking the MGM ASOS report). If you ever want to experience the power of God - try riding out a powerful storm without the benefit of four walls and a roof to protect you... it's a humbling experience! Thankfully, I made it back to the clubhouse with all my 'parts' intact. In hindsight, the storm occured right around 3:25 CST... about the time Rich left us. Please don't read too much into this.. I'm well aware that the whole world didn't have bad weather at that particular moment; But for me, Personally, it was a very bad day! I've always had the utmost respect for Richard Harvey - he was, is, and will continue to be a roll-model for all of us. This morning, I'm still very sad - I feel like I've lost a member of my family; but I'm also encouraged because it's a brand new day! Today, thanks in large part to Rich, the flightsim experience is better than ever (even for users that have never bought a copy of FLY!) and more importantly, today, Rich no longer has cancer and he's free to fly wherever his heart takes him. March 13 was a bad day; but today, I think we should all take comfort in knowing that the storm has finally passed.Regards,Marc

I saw your post and had to tell you a story:After Fly! II shipped Rich and I used to take off from work early once a week to go hit the golf course and while we were avid golfers we certainly were not good golfers. We considered it a very successful round to not cause any property damage or personal injury and it was the equivalent to a PGA Tour win for either of us to finish a round with the same ball we started with. Back in September when Rich knew the writing was on the wall and the end was near we focused on what we enjoyed most together and thanks to benevolent bosses (Thanks Mark and Brett) and a good friend at Bear Creek Golf (great course right next to DFW) setting Rich up with as much free golf as he could play we would get on the course 2-3 times per week. Rich's Dad would join us and we would battle around the course all the time laughing and joking about how pathetic we were and having the times of our lives. Rich and I have always been very competitive and very closely matched even though our styles were so different. Rich had fantastic accuracy and a great short game and on the flip side I can drive 300 yards right up the fairway no problem but can

Guest Steve Brown

Mmmm, tell me about it.I was cutting wood in the garden with my axe, wonderful day.Finished all the loggs, and on the way in I shouted my wife for something when the first gust of wind for the day slammed the door shut on my fingers. They now look more like sweet potatoes than fingers....Still I have my left hand !???

Guest chezz

Hi Brendan,I noticed that you've been posting here lately, does this mean that you're here to help us out if there have been some issues regarding FLY2 that nobody in in this forum can give a definite answer. Hope you'll continue Rich's legacy in keeping FLY alive.chrisphilippines

Besides the Harvey Family I know the TRI Family is also mourning.Thanks again for sharing this wonderful insight into Rich.Regards,Bob Lyddy

Hi Brendan,I appreciate that. After working (and golfing) so closely with Rich over the years, I'm sure things must be tough for you right now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and incites with us - it's nice to know that Rich was enjoying himself and spending quality time with good friends near the end. Bear Creek... Nice!!! If you ever find yourself around MGM, let me know - maybe we can get in 18.Thanks again (and by all means get Lauren out on the links),Marc