Sign in to follow this  
michal

Graphics Cards

Guest tonyc

yep. it's all about cpu first and video card second.tony

G'day Wayne,Excellent advice!I tested a 64 Mb geforce2 GTS/Pro against a FX-5900 (NOT the ultra - only 128 Mb ram) using Final Reality and in graphical display rates they were virtually identical. Yet in Fly! II they are streets apart! in the fps they produce.Ram on the graphic card is the name of the game as far as Fly! II is concerned.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

I have been beating my brains since I switched from a g3 ti200 128 meg to a fx5600 256 meg, thinking that the additional 128 meg of memory( and some video power also) would eliminate drastic frame drops in the 32bit intensive overcast clouds setting, yet I do not see how the additional 128 made the difference. It seems that in some situations FLY2 requires as much as 256meg of video memory just for the clouds. What a powerful cpu and video card with ample memory do is simply increase fps into the 50-60, but do not prevent the sudden drop into the 20's, which is what creates the sense of pause or stutter--which is not really a pause or stutter- when flying. I say this becasue once a frame is in memory, the drop is not as pronounced.I am currently using an amd cpu overclocked to 2700, an fx 5600 overclocked and FLY2 never drops below 20 fps. However, I simply can't figure out how to maintain steady fps ala msfs2002. Richard Harvey spoke about msfs techinque of delaying scenery loading(and smoothening fps) vs FLY2 realtime loading, which naturally expects a lot of video memory. For those of you who wonder about the render.ini settings, I do have the 256 texture slots set at 999, since these are the most memory intensive and want to have them load up last with whatever memory is left. FLY2 has become a little bit of a puzzle for me, and I must confess that sometime I spend more time tweaking than flying.:-)tony

Guest dajackman

If you want hardcore reviews don't forget about tomshardware.comMy GPU just fried on me. I havn't used Fly2 in almost a month. Luckly I have been still getting up with my real Instructor- I may get an average card now to get back in the seat. I am hearing that Nvidia and ATI are getting ready to unlease their next gems. I guess we will see.....

>>maintain steady fps ala msfs2002. Richard Harvey spoke about>msfs techinque of delaying scenery loading(and smoothening>fps) vs FLY2 realtime loading, Yes, I discussed this topic extensively with Richard. Frankly I think FLY's technique of forcing scenery loading at "all cost" is the root of all the stutter. It is not that MSFS delays scenery loading - it simply loads scenery "asynchronously" versus FLY's synchronous loading. Asynchronous approach is simply superior and this is what all professional simulator use.Michael J.