Sign in to follow this  
fspaan

Latest Nvidia driver........56.64

G'day all,I just downloaded and installed the 56.64 Nvidia drivers. I'm using an FX-5900 card. I can't say that there is a huge increase in FPS but it did solve my problem of the computer hanging on the windows splash screen on shutdown and so far (touch wood) I haven't been able to force a CTD. I hope I'm not speaking too soon on about the latter. :-) Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

I am using win98, and this driver kept crashing while surfing the net: it failed to change video modes properly. I never had a chance to try it with FLY2.tony

G'day Tony,There's a clue! I'm using windows 98 SE and no problems at all.I'm using an AMD 2400 XP in an AZUS A7V8X-X motherboard with 2100 DDR ramYou wouldn't perchance be overclocking? Your symptoms sound suspiciously like a timing problem. Perhaps the AGP bus.I have had Fly! II working at 1600 X 1200. Some panels get all screwed up ( not all ) but the scenery works fine. Have a good look at your settings. There has to be a logical explanation for your problems.Sydney at 1600 x 1200 x 32Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

that's interesting, Roger. The only video corruption occurs when I switch to some WEb sites. FLY2 works beautifully. I went back to the earlier driver. I have my motherboard overclocked to 191, but not the video card.... I'll wait a bit and see what happens. As for your panels at 1600, why don't you create bigger ones? You should be able to take that 1024 panel and increase it to 1600 with paint shop...tony

G'day Tony,That is weird? I haven't done any overclocking since I had a Celeron 300A running at 450 MHz. A whopping 50% increase. I'm just waiting for the 3000 XP to drop in price and then I'll get one.I've often thought of making an aircraft for the higher resolution of 1600 x 1200 but it's not just a matter of scaling in a paint program.All the *.pbg and *.pbm files would need scaling and all the postions in the *.pnl file are hard coded and would need changing The higher resolution side and quarter views would also have to be declared.Well I'm retired now and have the time. Got any aircraft in particular in mind for conversion?Some front panels already function perfectly in the higher resolution.eg B747-300Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest tonyc

You're right, Roger. I was thinking primarily of the side panels...As to what aircraft to do, I must confess that (and I am not retired) making and editing panels is so much fun that I switch from aircraft to aircraft. For the moment I am doing the Saab340. It's a beta plane available on AVsim , but the author did so much sonderful work that I decided to finish it. It's a great plane and, if you wish, I can send you my work which will enable you to fly it as well as see whether this plane for a 1600 conversion is appealing. The other plane is a 737 that I've been working on. The DC9 is also another one....I have been overclocking for a long time. Just recently I purchased the "mobile xp2500" for $100. This cpu is currently running at 2400 with regular heatsink . FLY2 and autogen work beautifully with it.tony

For one of the few times, Roger - the latest drivers *actually* gave me a visually noticed improvement on FPS ! I used SF LAX (via FSImport) to check. Was getting the dreaded 4FPS there, but now getting 9-15FPS (generally overall a 12FPS) in the same viewing direction!! Horay!Nice call, Mate!Cheers to ya! :-beerchugKen Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

>For one of the few times, Roger - the latest drivers>*actually* gave me a visually noticed improvement on FPS ! I>used SF LAX (via FSImport) to check. Was getting the dreaded>4FPS there, but now getting 9-15FPS (generally overall a>12FPS) in the same viewing direction!! Horay!>Nice call, Mate!>Cheers to ya! :-beerchug>Ken Wood :-sun1>>http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpg>>Gateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP>128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro ShockSame here! I went from a steady 8-9fps on Lago Schiphol 2002, 100% ATC project AI, with the PMDG B737 and everything maxed to a 10-14fps.