Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

Ground Tile Transform

I am trying to correct some tiles that changed after I Terrascened part of NZ.Some Ocean tiles were turned ( for reasons I don't understand)into land textures adjacent to the area terrascened and are listed as Texture 4B290B83.RAW and so on.Using Ground Tile Transform (GTT)I cannot turn these tiles back to ocean textures again.The GTT log confirms that the change is supposed to have occurred.Can anyone help me?:-hmmm

G'day Flyfisher, Mate from my recollections Elrond's ground tile converter program doesn't give the water texture to a tile but does give the tile the property of water. What I'm trying to say is that if you convert a land tile using the converter it will still look like land but heaven help you if you try to land an aircraft on it as you will sink like a stone. I think the water mask is what governs what water is going to look like.It's all a bit hazy in my head but I think the above is correct. Try changing the water mask.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

If you've saved all the Terrascene sections, this will be easier... If not, you'll need to re-render but not let TerraScene pod your scenery for you just yet.Using Photoshop or PaintShop Pro on the sections for day image_1-1.tga, image1-2.tga, etc. and *IF* you know what should be water versus landmass, cut-n-paste water sections to fill/cover what you need to change. You will have to do this with the corresponding Watermask images also. Once that is done, delete the main day and watermask images (the spliced together images which are quite large), re-run TerraScene, render again with the Use existing segments" box (on the right side of the map window) checked. That *should* correct the "look". Will still need to use Ground Transform to change water to land or land to water properties accordingly.Hope this helps!Cheers!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest Colins2

Hi,I have a couple of questions:Did you TS a complete tile?What data did you use for the TS render.The answers to these questions might explain why you got land where there shouldn't be any.If you have good data including a good coastline file then all the sea areas will be rendered as the water mask. If you have just rendered a partial tile then it could be that the 'new' data doesn't quite cover the existing data and has left some land areas.If you render a complete tile, always the best idea, then you should get all the water areas as a water mask.The water tiles are very small so leaving them out is a false economy.GTT will only adjust the 'underlying' land TYPE, not the rendered image type, just as Roger says. It would normally be used when correcting default coastlines or taxiways/runways that seem to be in the water.By giving the underlying tile a ground value it makes Fly! draw the tile as the appropriate ground type instead of water. There is a huge file which maps every ground tile in the world with a 1 byte value and this us what GTT transforms.I repeat, this only affects the default scenery, not rendered scenery.There is one caveat to this; if you render an area and the underlying ground type is water, then you will sink! Use GTT to transform these into a land type, then your carefully rendered scenery will be hard :-)hope this helpsColin

Guys,Thanks for the replies. I am embarrassed as I cannot remember whether I did a whole globe tile or just some quarter tiles but think the latter more likely.The files are ESRI files using Arc Explorer.You are right to advise me not to land on the areas where the sea has been replaced by land as one of the screenshots shows.The other shows some of the views at the edge of the terrascened areas.Hopefully if it is a quiet weekend I may be able to sort a few things out or if the worst comes to the worst I can re-do it.