Sign in to follow this  
Roger Mazengarb

Malibu ASI error...?

G'day all,After having modified the pnl file so that the copilots DG could be adjusted, (the pilots is slaved to flux valve), I was just doing a check flight in the Malibu (Sahara) and noticed that the copilots ASI was under reading by 17 kts ! (@ 100 Kts on pilots ASI). With the cursor over the instrument the grey box reading is correct but the instrument pointer is only showing 83 kts. I deleted all *.hst files and rebooted Fly! with the same result.Checked the Kodiak and King Air; no problems.Does anyone know anything about this? .... or is it just me??Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Roger,Maybe I payed little attention to co-pilot side and never noticed it ! I'll check it out ...By the way, you can fix this error, because you pointed out the grey box is correct, so the message pump is good.The thing to do is open the main panel (PNL) file, go to the copilot speed gauge and fix the angle vs value table. All the best,laurentC (rotw)

G'day Laurent, You are a genius. You were spot on with your diagnosis. :-) I took a look at the pnl file and there were two totally different speed/angle tables for the pilot and copilot ASI's. I made the copilots the same as the pilots and now the two ASI.s are in agreement. :-jumpyI hate to nit pick but there is one other small error on the panel.The gyro slave switch must be in the SLAVE position for the CCW/CW switches to set the compass card in the HSI. This is incorrect. The ccw/cw switches should only operate with the gyro switch in the FREE position. In the SLAVE postion the DG is slaved to the flux valve which keeps the DG aligned to a magnetic heading. Checked the Navajo and King Air and in both those aircraft the gyro switch is correct. ie. must be in the FREE position for the CCW/CW switch to set the compass card in the HSI.Have you any ideas on what the problem might be?It only looks like a reversed switch and is no big deal but if it can be fixed then it would be nice.Thanks for the ASI fix.Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Roger,haven't yet looked at the Malibu in flight but what is the exact file address you are referring to so I can correct it?:-beerchug

G'day Flyfisher,The file you need to modify is called Mali00.pnl It is located in the malibu pod file which is called Harvey.pod in the aircraft folder.extract the mali00.pnl file to the data folder and then open the pnl file in Wordpad (it's too large for notepad). Scroll down only a few lines of code and you will come accross the definitions of the pilots and copilots ASI instruments. Within each definition is a table of airspeed versus pointer angle. Simply delete the table values of the copilot ASI and copy/paste the pilot values in their place. Then save the pnl file back to the data folder and thats it.Below is what the modified copilot ASI section of the pnl file should be before saving.DO NOT CUT AND PASTE FROM THIS POST AS THE TABS/SPACES DID NOT DISPLAY CORRECTLY.//////////////////////////////////////////////////// Airspeed gauge (co-pilot)////////////////////////////////////////////////// ==== GAUGE ENTRY ====aspd ==== BEGIN GAUGE ENTRY ==== ---- unique id ---- asp2 ---- x,y,xsize,ysize ---- 1312 149 90 90 ---- needle center x,y ---- 45 47 spd2 sped ---- min value allowed ---- 0.0 ---- max value allowed ---- 280.0 ---- bitmap needle ---- stnd ==== BEGIN BITMAP NEEDLE ==== ---- shared needle ---- ---- offset X ---- 35 ---- offset Y ---- 35 ---- base bitmap name ---- NEEDLE1 ==== END BITMAP NEEDLE ==== ---- gauge value table ---- ---- begin table ---- - x y 0.0 0.0 40.0 33.1 60.0 72.3 80.0 116.6 100.0 158.4 120.0 191.5 140.0 221.4 160.0 253.9 180.0 280.2 200.0 305.8 210.0 319.4 - end format ---- end table ---- ---- true airspeed knob ---- ---- begin click area ---- ---- bitmap ---- skyhknob.pbg ---- click area rect ---- 73 73 91 91 ---- cursor ---- mpfinger.csr ---- popup help ---- True Airspeed Adjustment ---- end click area ---- ---- help string ---- Airspeed Indicator ---- light mask ---- pmmask01.raw ---- light source ---- avio ==== END GAUGE ENTRY ====Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Hi all,Make a reverse switch is not so hard ... but I prefer understand the whole thing (bug ?) before propose a fix : give me some days to see what we can do.In the meanwhile, why don't you give a spin to our last ASH25 glider in the simvol library ?Cheers,Laurent (rotw)

Roger,the "gslv" gauge is unfortunally hard coded in Fly!, thus we can't modify it in anyway ... so the unelegant way to fix this problem is to have another switch that invert the behaviour.I'm not proud of that (very poor solution) but you'll find enclosed with this message (attachment 82619.zip below) the PBG and ACT files that have to be placed in the Fly! ART folder. All the best,Laurent (rotw)

G'day Laurent,>I'm not proud of that (very poor solution) but you'll find>enclosed with this message (attachment 82619.zip below) the>PBG and ACT files that have to be placed in the Fly! ART>folder. What's wrong with a bit of lateral thinking....thinking outside the square!! I think it's a brilliant solution. :-)Thanks for all your help in fixing the Malibu. Very much appreciated.BTW I downloaded the Glider project from Simvol last night. Off now to have some fun flying it. :-jumpyCheers,Roger @YSSY