Sign in to follow this  
KenWood

Is there a case for an improved autogen?

Guest laurentC

Hi all,I've completed a first dll that manages somehow the scenery objects sent by Steve. Oh ! Nothing interesting yet and more a ugly experiment than something that can be used by everyone's daily flights ...I'll send a 1MB zip today to Tony and Steve : if someone want to test or participate to the experiments just put here a address.But don't be in any hurry : I'll try to get a sort of test area in our site where everyone can download experimentals at leisure.The experimental idea right now is to use low poly objects (maybe we can still try less poly depending on artists ability) and adjust automatically the rendering number against a fixed fps (I stated 15 as a good deal). As I got some fatal 4 fps with my PC (let's say middle-class one) I add feature that reduces the starting number of objects in another fly! session : thus fly! somehow gets better everytime. This feature takes advantage of the fly.ini file.For instance in the KSFO area I started with 64 objects per tile and ended with a new score of 51 in the new session, avoiding any utter 4 fps (in theory). This is just experimental and we have to test whether it's a good idea or not. Anyway at the end (if ever) we will have to mix up a few techniques if we want to have more objects and hight fps... Cheers,Laurent

Guest Ken_Salter

Well, so far I have found only the source code for the editor. I haven't as yet found the source code for the dll. I have been through serveral computers and moves since that time, and I'm afraid it may have been lost in the shuffle.Are you still interested in the editor code?I will continue looking for the dll code. You might be able to reverse engineer the dll from how the editor writes to the ini files...

Guest laurentC

Hi Ken,Reverse engineering is over my capacities : if there's only the editor, let's go with the editor ... you know, anything can be useful anyway.I'm just experimenting some ideas right now, but in a second time we'll need to adjust all the objects with the ground tiles layer, then ...Cheers,LaurentC (rotw)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94338.gif