Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Windows Mute whilst installing Fly2?

Hi all,I've read several posts in which the importance of 'muting' whilst Fly2 is installed.Why is this necessary and what are the consequences of not?:-hmmm

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

G'day Flyfisher,This whole topic is a very grey area.I'm probably the main instigator of the posts you refer to. The reason for muting sound is simple.When the patches for Fly! II first appeared a great hullaballoo? went on in the forum about people not being able to get the patches to install. Quite heated exchanges took place. The patches were created/installed with a program called RT Patch and the patches weren't programs but very large binary files - huge memory dumps. If the patch found something in the wrong place in memory then it would hic-up and not install.When Fly! II installs TRI broke the rule and has background music playing during the installation. On some peoples machines there were no problems but on others ( mine ) it some how causes a corruption of the Fly! II install. Then when you try to patch the patch sees the corruption and refuses to install or worse it installs but causes some corruption somewhere in Fly! II. One real bad thing was the patch would display an "old file not found error...." but then go on to continue and report a successful installation of the patch, a blatant lie. For the patch to be successful there must be absolutely no interruption to the patch installation.So if you reinstall Fly! II and find the patches won't install, remove Fly! II and reinstall with windows sound muted and see if that solves the problem. In many cases it does. In a few cases they still couldn't get the patches to take.In a few cases people reported that they could only get a successful installation of Fly! II by copying the CD contents to the hard drive and installing from the hard drive.I don't think the actual problem was ever identified but muting sound worked for me and many others.Cheers,Roger