Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Terrascene 2.1 - Gaps In Coasts and Rivers??

The TGA file produced by Terrascene has some significant gaps in various rivers and coastlines. I was wondering if anyone has determined if this is the underlying USGS data or something that confuses Terrascene?Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

G'day Dick,Sorry mate I misunderstood your post and have edited out my reply. I have no idea what could be your problem.When you say gaps do you mean water gaps in the ocean or actual coastline gaps?Cheers,Roger

Hello Dick,I would echo Roger's comment - what sort of gap, can you be more specific? Also, what territory, state, locale were you rendering?The USGS supposedly removed all of the data that TerraScene was set up for back in May (at least the free-access FTP), so this may be part of the issue.

Randall Rocke

A small example, of many, is the Ohio River near Pittsburgh, Both shores have gaps. That is, the shorelines are interrupted for about 2-5 miles (guess). It is not a major issue just a curiosity as to the source of it. I have recently (last week) let Terrascene auto-download USGS data that was not in my 700mb collection. It worked ok using the default location. I forgot to note that I am using Terrascene to generate TGA files, along with the coordinate info TXT file for use in FS2004 (Yeah I know - disloyal). The TGA is converts to a BMP and used in a program called AutoAsm to create accurate shorelines for the USA. Glad software does not wear-out!Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

The remarkable thing is that you were able to get data at all, unless Todd's setup in TerraScene to access the USGS data was actually set up as a logged access FTP.The gaps could be "gaps in the data" itself. Over the years, we've found numerous gaps in all areas - not enough to cause problems, but almost every tile generated from this data would have small areas of missing shorelines, unidentified land-use, etc. In most cases, the images could be retouched in Photoshop to repair or edit these areas prior to scenery-slicing. Areas near to or surrounding water would be the most likely to need touch-up.Also, it's possible that the USGS has started to remove some of the data from public access as they said they would back in May.

Randall Rocke

Locations for TS data ---AutoDownload.HTTPProxy.password=AutoDownload.DEM75.URL=http://www.wingswithwires.com:8080/7.5min/AutoDownload.DEM75.directory=TS_ROOT/data-files/usgs/DEM/7.5min/AutoDownload.DEM250.URL=http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/DEM/250/AutoDownload.DEM250.directory=TS_ROOT/data-files/usgs/DEM/250/AutoDownload.DLG.URL=http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/DLG/AutoDownload.DLG.directory=TS_ROOT/data-files/usgs/DLG/AutoDownload.LULC.URL=http://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/LULC/AutoDownload.LULC.directory=TS_ROOT/data-files/usgs/LULC/Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Correct - these are the original locations, though all of them are supposed to be inaccessible as of the close of May. I'll run a quick test in the next couple of days, but a quick peek shows that the DLG directory page in this list is now closed (at least to anonymous FTP). With no Digital Line Graphics you would be missing all rivers, shorelines, etc.

Randall Rocke

The gaps I see are not as large as missing files would be responsible for, and in fact are within very old original files. The directory for the files may be gone but the files are indeed there. When I "visit" a new area in Terrascene 2.1 the downloads of missing elements take place as expected.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

OK - sounds like the normal amount of missing data elements for some waterways. Are you also using the 7.5 DEM data from wingswithwires?

Randall Rocke