Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

NZ Ground Tile texture Problem

I am in the process of correcting the gross ground tile errors in NZ ( there are hundreds). I discovered that if they are not corrected before one tries to create scenery with better elevations one has problems such as holes in mountains that one can fly through and very sharp jagged points and vertical sheets of water at 1,000 feet or higher.One problem I have come across are tiles of water that are bright blue in colour after correction in lakes that are of 'normal' colour.An example would be Globe Tile 119,91; Ground tiles 2,16 and 3,16.Can anyone explain why this is and how to correct the colour to 'normal' water colour?Thanks,:-hmmm

G'day FlyFisher,What are you calling "normal" ??If I read you correctly you are getting the default reflective water after conversion. Doesn't Elronds converter allow you to select the water texture?? It's been a while since I used it. If it doesn't then terrascene has a checkbox for reflective water (from memory) so it might be possible to terrascene the tile with the box unchecked? I'm pretty much a raw begginer at all this but I do remember I could achieved two different textures for water when terrascening.Is the reflective blue in the attached pic what you are complaining about? I prefer it to the darker greeny blue texure! :-)Cheers,Roger

Guest Colins2

Hi Ian,I've seen this before, too!When you use Ground Type Transform, it alters the tiletype.img file inside Globe.pod. If you have extracted this pod then you may have another copy in your ..data folder.I assume that you have SearchPodFilesFirst = 0 in your Fly.ini?If so, Fly will read the one in the ..data folder and not the one that GTT is altering.Colin

Colin,Thanks,Once again you are absolutely right.It appears that to correct a ground tile's texture with Ground Type Transformer it is necesssary to first delete (or move) any folders for that tile (and I think adjacent tiles) from the data folder.Ian:-walksmile

Guest Colins2

Hi Ian,GTT works on the basic structure of Fly!The "Tiletype.img" file is only used for flying over areas with default textures. Once you have customized a globe tile with TerraScene or some other method, the slicer creates the ..dataDxxxzzz folder and the files in there will take precedence.If you just apply elevations to an area the slicer will use the default info in tiletype.img to build the .trn files. Is this what you are doing?You can modify the elevations and coastlines (gtp files) for any globe tile and still have the default textures. This saves a huge amount of disk space as only the .trn files are created and at maximum detail these are only around 1mb each - 4mb as opposed to ~400mb!If you modify the tiletype.img file with GTT you should probably re-import your elevations to re-build the .trn files.You can do this as often as you want - it only affects the .trn files and not any of the default system files.All of the above really only applies to areas using default textures apart from instances where GTT is used to correct taxiway areas that you sink on. You will never 'sink' on a runway as they are 'on top' of everything else, water included.I hope this helps.Colin

Colin,Thanks again.I started to import SRTM elevations and discovered very jagged areas and holes in hills/mountains along with vertical sheets of water were created.Once you pointed out the faults were probably due to the incorrect ground tiles I had to first correct them. There are hundreds of incorrect ground tiles in NZ. South Island is worse than North Island. I have now completed most of them but am still checking and once that is done will be able to Terrascene and import the STRM elevations.Doing this is a lot easier now as I am using two computers and am on holiday.There are also some taxiway/runway errors, for example,Auckland(NZAA)has some of the taxiways which are 'water' and there are now two runways not just one. The addition of the second runway was only completed relatively recently. Some airports are not even in the database eg Milford Sound and on Great Barrier Island/Stewart Island.It's going to be a long project but at least I am beginning to understand things better and really appreciate the help and advice so willingly given in the forum.I am interested to see the examples of the new Terrascene textures as I have yet to decide whether to get them.:-wave